Netherland dwarf rabbit weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I judged from the weight you told about them. At least they are not for show because netherland dwarf should weight under 1,5 kg as adults.

But netherland dwarf come with different weight depending on the dwarf gene or no dwarf gene. And in your case your bunny don’t have the dwarf gene. If it 1 kg at 3 months.

You have nothing to worry about your bunny being overweight. My netherland dwarf is overweight and he look a lot thicker than yours. Also your bunny it’s a growing kit. Keep an eye on the droppings that they have a good amount of hay in them and around 6 months you can decrease the pellets amount ^^

View attachment 42693View attachment 42694
View attachment 42695
Omg your bunny is beautiful

Lenka, your bunny is absolutely beautiful. I have two ND bunnies and my doe is a little over 2 pounds and not quite 5 months old yet. My doe went in for her well check 2 weeks ago and my vet said he would not spay her until she was at least 6 months old. He said it can be hard to see the little lady bits in these small dwarf rabbits when they are so young so he prefers to wait until they are 6 months old. It does no harm to a young rabbit to wait until they are 6 months old to spay.

He asked what diet my doe is eating and I told him unlimited timothy hay, unlimited young rabbit pellets, a very small handful of alfalfa hay at bedtime, and greens. He said that was "excellent" and to start limiting her pellets and eliminate the alfalfa at around 6 months of age. Let me tell you, my bunny is a little piggy and she is probably eating way too many pellets right now but she is active and healthy so I'll follow his advice and start cutting back in a month. I would estimate that my doe is eating 1/8 cup, maybe even a little more, of pellets a day. I'm not recommending that amount, I'm just saying that's what mine eats and she is at a healthy weight, so it seems to me that a spoonfull of pellets for your little doe should be just fine. This is just my own opinion though, I am not a vet.

If you don't feel confident with your vet, maybe you can find a different one? I would imagine that he would have commented on her weight if your bunny was overweight. It would be a red flag for me though if my vet wanted to spay my bunny at only 4 months old. I would start looking for a much more rabbit savvy vet in that case.
Thank you. I will try to find another vet for a second opinion. She is happy and healthy and I’m super excited to read other people advice. Very helpful for a first time owner.

Omg your bunny is beautiful

Thanks, myself love netherland dwarf bunnies. So I will always have at least one netherland dwarf.

You can wait until 1 year and your bunny will also look more like a netherland dwarf. They often fill out while growing.

6 months:

IMG_3323.jpg

2 years:

IMG_5711.jpg

So they change quite a lot when they reach their weight and filling out ^^

Thanks, myself love netherland dwarf bunnies. So I will always have at least one netherland dwarf.

You can wait until 1 year and your bunny will also look more like a netherland dwarf. They often fill out while growing.

6 months:

View attachment 42696

2 years:

View attachment 42697

So they change quite a lot when they reach their weight and filling out ^^
Really pretty baby You must be happy.

She doesn’t look like an ND to me...must be mixed with something else. That being the case I would not reduce her pellets if she’s only 3.5 months old.

I also cannot tell this is a ND or dwarf to me. A ND got a very compact body and smooshed face and very easy to tell. I got a ND too he's about 5 months old but still weights 600 to 900 grams.

I also cannot tell this is a ND or dwarf to me. A ND got a very compact body and smooshed face and very easy to tell. I got a ND too he's about 5 months old but still weights 600 to 900 grams.
Thank you Mike! I was told she is a pure ND. I can’t do anything now. Not sure what breed she is. x

Her ears appear longer than my bunny's ears but the faces look similar.

Thank you Mike! I was told she is a pure ND. I can’t do anything now. Not sure what breed she is. x
Try bring your bunny to local vet for quick check. They could tell the breed and age quickly.

20190827_080906.jpg
20190903_181305.jpg

These are my bunnies. Snowball and Pepsi and I trust you could figure which is which. ;)

Pepsi is a 5 months old ND and weighted about 900 grams, as confirmed yesterday after I weighted him and he could be still as I was using kitchen scale.

Snowball is a 8 months old Havana mix weighted 1.6kg. I was told he was a dwarf too before I adopted him and then I thought he couldn't be a dwarf and could be mixed with rex.. but doc said no.. havana mix with more other breeds.

Yes. His ears are longer. My doc also said so. When getting a ND, the price also could subject to the ears' length.

I would wait and see until your bunny grow up more to be sure. But your bunny look like a Netherland Dwarf but not the standards of a netherland dwarf bun.

Odin’s brother:
IMG_5741.jpg

As you can see in the picture he have longer ears, so not all netherland dwarf bunnies get short ears ^^

Try bring your bunny to local vet for quick check. They could tell the breed and age quickly.

View attachment 42807
View attachment 42808

These are my bunnies. Snowball and Pepsi and I trust you could figure which is which. ;)

Pepsi is a 5 months old ND and weighted about 900 grams, as confirmed yesterday after I weighted him and he could be still as I was using kitchen scale.

Snowball is a 8 months old Havana mix weighted 1.6kg. I was told he was a dwarf too before I adopted him and then I thought he couldn't be a dwarf and could be mixed with rex.. but doc said no.. havana mix with more other breeds.
You bunnies are so cute!!! Thank you. My bunny went to a different vet today. She weights 850 grams

To OP, not sure why, but many people selling small breed rabbits refer to them as Dwarfs. If you do an internet search for Netherland Dwarf you’ll see the difference. Yours look more like a Polish mix.

I don't find my Pepsi's face smooshed at all. But anyway, he's a lovely bunny.

Latest posts

Back