Nest box size and larger litters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bojay

Reaction score
I put an appropriately sized box in for a holland lopbefore kindlingthinking we would see only 2-4 kits. With five, at two weeks, they are already taking up a lot of space. I have bigger boxes, should I trade up now?

The doe is in a 24 X 30 and the box already takes up a lot of space. The bigger boxes (I purchased for standard rex) will take up way more space. She doesn't seem to mind the cramped quarters as the only thing she wants to do is sit around and eat anyway.

I can put her and the kits in a larger hutch (30 x 36) with a larger box. I know I should transfer all the nesting materials so the smell stays the same but I'm wondering if this is necessary or even a good idea since they will be ready to be out of the box next week.

I just feel like they are getting a bit crowded.

What do you think?

I'll be posting updated pictures in the bunny blogs tomorrow. Their eyes are open and they are doing great.

Thank you for any and all advice.

One major thing I've learned about baby bunnies is that they will all crowd together no matter what size the cage is or the nestbox is. When they are young like that - they seem to find security (and warmth) in crowding together as close as possible.

Since they'll probably be out of the nestbox in a week or so - I'd leave them as they are since it is what they are familiar with....but other breeders may advice differently!

Peg

Thanks peg. I just can't imagine the doe being able to get in there and be able to nurse them all without stepping on some. But I'm not a rabbit, I just play one on TV ;)

I agree 100% with Peg. They'll be hopping out of the box within a week or so, they'll be fine with what they're in now.

Chances are she does step on them when hopping in to feed - it wakes them up and let's them know it's feeding time :D... you'll notice though (if you ever see her hop in) that when she does step on one by mistake, she'll quickly move and lift her feet until it's free to nurse comfortably. I've witnessed this on many occasions and as long as she's feeding them and caring for them the way she's supposed to, I don't worry too much about it. ;)

Latest posts

Back