Nervous about bonding!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fancybutterfly

Reaction score
Ok, I know I have asked about this before, BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

The real deal is here! I am moving in 10 days! Bob and Zeus will be somewht forced to live in the same room. Right now, they are aware of each other, and have met, but they have their own rooms.

I know I need to get them together more often before the move, but I also know that once I start, I'm not supposed to separate them.

Once they are in the new place, I won't be home 24/7 to watch them. What doI do then?

Should I keep their cages they have with their scent? or get new ones? Will they ever use the same cage? This I wonder b/c next summer I am moving across the country and will be driving. The bunnies will be in the back seat. I was hoping to have them together in the same cage...for comfort reasons.

thanks to anyone that can offer ANY advise!

Marybeth, Bob (happy it seems to be a loner) and Zues (who would lovea pal!)

Hi there Marybeth! :)

You can do quick (20-30 minute) bonding sessions in a neutral area in the meantime. You don't have to keep them together now, but if bonding is going well feel free to extend the amount of time they are together. Probably good to get them extra used to each other, because even in a totally neutral area (new house) they may not instantly bond.. so work before hand is definitely helpful.

You can bring along their old cages, just clean them really well if you want it to be neutral territory. If you work enough with them, there is a possibility of them living together. Even if they aren't totally bonded, a car trip together in the same carrier works to bring bunnies together with a stressful situation too!

Good luck, and try in the meantime doing bonding sessions so they get used to each other.

hi! yes go for the bonding! im guessing that your buns are neutered? obvious really but im thinking of the patter of tiny paws;) my buns are very bonded and will share each others space tho' i do keep separate food bowls and water bottles. roxy wasnt going to share her nice carrot print bowl with anybun.

you might find a car journey helps with the bonding tho' i would recommend having someone ride with you in case a fight breaks out.

as far as leaving them alone once you've moved is concerned i would advise caution. you really need to be sure that they are bonded and dont fight before going off to work for the day. if you want bun housing inspiration have a look at the 'cage set up' section of the forum:)

Thank you!

I guess I forget to mention that they are free range!
I will be doing daily 'get togethers' now until the move.
food and water bottles was another question I had...thanks!
So I guess I need a new cage to use in the car next week...

Thanks again!

Marybeth, Bob n Zoo!

So I did a bathtub bonding session.
I think it went well.
There was no circling...just a lot of sitting and staring.
I put hay down, but they didn't eat any. I know when they do that, it's a good sign.
But I think its godd they didn't fight instantly! What does it mean when one bun puts his head down to the other?

Bob thumped first, bt then neither did for awhile. then all of sudden Zeus did a few times.

I'll do it again later today. I hope to get a new cage today so I can take them in the car.

Thanks for the input!

Sounds good! :)

Ohh, didn't know they were free range. I would just keep doing sessions until you move and see how they go.

When a bunny puts their head down for another bunny, it's them wanting the other to groom them.

Sometimes they can be quite stubborn with grooming.. but most likely eventually it will happen :D. It took Georgie 10 months to groom Pebbles.. and when that happened, they were bonded in a couple days after Georgie groomed Pebbles. Sometimes it just takes something to 'click' and then they'll be good to go.

Yup, though on the other hand - when I added Jasmine into the pair, it took about a week. All about the individual bunnies! You just have to be patient and persistent, and eventually a bond will happen. That was 10 months on/off though.. not daily bonding. It went months without having them together as well.

Don't be discouraged if it's not an easy bond, since most rabbits CAN be bonded - just may take extra time.

Good luck and fingers crossed for an easy bond!

Well, I did another bathtub session today.
This time, Zeus did most of the thumping. He mounted Bob quite a bit and Bob just sat there. He didn't 'fight' back... I was a bit suprised. I htought he would've.

Zue did a little hopping around, Bob stayed put. Then they sat next to each other, Zues kinda behind Bob for quitea while, neither one moving...

This is all so new to me...

I hope it's going well...it seems to be.
We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Well, Ihaven't been able to do a tub session b/c BOb had a GI slowdown or something going on...But he's all better now!

I just a session now, about 30-45 mninutes.
At first, bob jst sayt, Zeus thumped, mounted, and jumped around, Bob just sat. Zeus was licking Bob. This wen on fo about 15-20 minutes. Then all of a sudden, a big thump from Bob, and he did the mounting. It went back and forth, but nothing forceful and no fighting.

After awhile, they were both eating hay, I put in a treat, but only Z ate it.
Toward the end, only a few thumps fom either one.

Thursday is the soonest I can get someone to go with me on a car ride.

I know there are articles and such, but I also know that each bonding experience between buns is diffferent. SO any input or advise is appreciated.

Thanks,

Marybeth, Bob and Zue

UPDATE:

Last night the boys were in the tub for about an hour. Today was aa car ride and a short tub time. It's so hard to tell what they are thinking!

At first, Zeus is doing the thumping and mounting. He hops around Bob and Bob just sits. Then Z went into the corner, and layed down. A few minutes later, a big thump from Bob!
Then he did the thumping and mounting. After a bit, there was a scuffle. I got nervous and stopped them.

Today, we went in the car. They seemed fine. Both were looking around, Z sat more still then Bob, and Bob was eating hay. In the tub, they mostly just sat. Zeus mounted twice, a few thumps..then Bob thumped. Then they ignored eachother and Bob even fell asleep.

My question, how will I know when the dominance has been determined? They will be at the new house Sundy night. I have there room separated by a see thru 15 inch gate. I will have that up while I am gone. When I am home,I'll bewith them so I can take that down.
I always get it mixed up as to hich one will groom the other once they're bonded.

We are in our new home!
Last night was our first night. Bob and Zeus are sharing a small room, but have plenty of room to hop around...not as much freedom as before, but it'll work!
Right now, there is a 15 inch see through wire gate that divides the space in half. This way, they are not totally separated during binding, can still see and sniff each other.
Even though it was their first night in a strange place, I did take the barrier down to see what they would do. Bob went right over to Zeus cage and hopped in! Z didn't like it too much and went in after him. I didn't like a scuffle in the cage, so I did stop it, and let them do it outside of it. Zeus then went into Bob's cage. Again, I had to bring it outside.

Bob went back into Zeus', Zeus then leaned up and licked Bob a little. For the most part though, they pretty much ignored each other.
When I went to bed, I put the gate between them. But again, they can see eachother perfectly.
I will do it all again tonight.
After all the articles I have read, I am still unsure about when they are totally bonde. How will I tell?

Any thoughts or comments?

Latest posts

Back