Need to start Buying Bulk

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
Hello....:)

I feed my 4 rabbits Oxbow everything, and I was wondering where would be the best place to buy bulk hay and what size. I go thru 2-3 big bags of Wesetern Timothy Hay from Petsmart and 2 bags of Orchard Grass a week....so it's getting expensive and I think bulk would be better financially.

I appreciate any advise. I don't know if Oxbow sells bulk. What would be the next best brand?

Thank you much...April :sunshine:

Oxbow sells most of their hays in larger quantities. I just bought a 50lb box of Oxbow Timothy Hay and a 9lb box of Orchard Grass. I would just get the store you've been buying your Oxbow at to order you in a 50lb box or even a 25lb box.

Well I've had the 50lb box for about a mth now, my friend also took a garbage bag full out of it and I feed 2 bunnies and 2 guinea pigs and it doesn't even look like I've taken any out of it, haha

So I'm guessing 50lbs is going to last me atleast 6 mths and I'm very generous with the hay.
I paid $69.99 for it :)

yah I didn't find the price was too bad considering how much hay there is, there is ALOT.

For 25lbs of Timothy I would pay $55.95 so to me it was worth it to pay the extra $15 and get another 25lbs.

I buy hay from a farmer. Yesterday I went out to get some with a friend and together we got 6 bales an it cost $60. Each bale is about 60 pounds. The 3 bales I got will probably last me 7-8 months. This hay is really nice and can beat out some pet store bagged hay.
If you can find good baled hay, I would go for it.

I thought about that too...but I'm afraid of buying bad hay for the rabbits. What about mites from the hay? I'm worried about that. If I get it froma farmer.

How big is a bale of hay? I see the big rolled "marshmallows" (those are too big) and the smaller bales - how much hay is in there? I got one huge bag and three smaller ones (the 90 oz bag + the bigger one) from Petsmart and they're almost through those and it's only been a month or so (maybe more, cuz time does fly) I'm just worried that they won't like the hay

Tweetiepy wrote:
How big is a bale of hay? I see the big rolled "marshmallows" (those are too big) and the smaller bales - how much hay is in there? I got one huge bag and three smaller ones (the 90 oz bag + the bigger one) from Petsmart and they're almost through those and it's only been a month or so (maybe more, cuz time does fly) I'm just worried that they won't like the hay
The round bales that you see in fields are very large and you will not be getting one. You need special equipment to move them and storing would be a nightmare. They probably weight about 1200 pounds each and cost over $100.

The square bales range from about 30 to 65 pounds depending on where they come from. A bale lasts me about 2.5 months with 4 rabbits.

My rabbits have liked most of the hay I have gotten. Some of the stuff had not been very good. Look for green bales that smell nice. If you are sneezing or if it is dusty, don't buy it. Also check for mold as some are stored better than others.

All you need is a truck to haul the round bails of hay and $100.00, WOW that's CRAZY, here they are $15.00. My friends buy them for their horses, they actually just bought 24 of them. You need the tractor with the fork thing to load it but then they just roll them off the truck once they get them home and into the hay barn.

You guys seem to be paying alot for square bales as well, here they're all $2.50 no matter what farmer has them, it all seems to be $2.50, some of them even $2.00.

I'd contact a local farmer for hay. I can't see paying 60 bucks for bulk. I paid 3 dollars for a very nice bale of hay. Look for a place with horses. They might spare a bale. And horse people are generally VERY picky people with their hay.

Yup, you're right, horse people ARE picky.
BUT I still haven't seen hay as nice as the Oxbow I have sitting in my basement, it is soooooooo green and fresh.

I don't mind paying $70.00 if it's going to last me 6mths or so, if I had numerous rabbits and had to buy it every mth I would definately be looking at bales of hay.

Thanks for everyones advise. When the weather gets better I think I'll look into the bales. Thats the cheapest way to go.But until then, I'll probably buy bulk.

Thank you :)

We don't even have a Petsmart here or anything really, just a Ma and Pa type petstore that pushes Hagen....

That's why I have to get everything ordered in from other cities or buy it online.

Latest posts

Back