Need to have my rabbit spayed and was wondering what other people have paid?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah222296

Reaction score
I just got a quote from a vet in town and it was outrageous! They said 400 on the low side and 500$ on the high side, theres no way im paying that. I want to know what other people have paid. I work at a vet and the head vet that does exotics will not spay females, he did my male a few years ago and it cost under 200$ with take home meds etc. I know female spays are a little more tricky but Im sure that can't be the price everyone else is paying!

Well, I haven't had my girls spayed, but from reading other posts, I find that most people do pay around $350-400 and sometimes even more. I agree that it's very expensive, but spaying is always more expensive than neutering.

Around $400 is the going rate at our vet. But, i would ask about what is included in that price. Alot of vets may say a lower price but have lots of hidden costs like Presurgical blood and pain meds for after that you then find out about later. That may be included in the original rate you were quoted. Are you in/near a very big town? I've also heard big towns have higher prices. In my mind it's worth it if you have a rabbit savvy vet where you can be pretty sure there won't be a problem with anesthesia etc. Yesterday my Ripley was neutered and he's healing up so nicely and everything went so well, it was very worth it. Also, depending on your area, you can look and see if there is a nearby low cost clinic. Make sure they are very knowledgeable and good with bunnies and if they are that my be a good option if you can't afford elsewhere.

Last edited:
Sometimes you can find a lower cost option if you talk with a rabbit rescue near you and find out who they use. Typically they have both a good price and a lot of experience.
That said, $400 for a spay sounds like it could be a reasnable price to me. Definitley talk to lower cost options about what's included in the spay.

Have you looked into low cost spay/neuter centers near you? Generally it's under $100 for a spay and about half that for a neuter. Sometimes the vets at those places are much better with rabbit spays/neuters since they do so many. Even vets that see rabbits don't usually do as many suguries and spay and neuter clinics.

In NY I checked recently its 600$ plus 100$ for checkup before spying.

holy schnikeys! I had my girl spayed for 126 euros which is about 160 bucks. Our local vet here in oklahoma does it for about 250. My boy however got neutered at a specialty exotic clinic and it cost me 450. which I still havent told my husband about to this day

I havent gotten a female done, but it was 75$ to get my male done. the vet I took him too grew up owning rabbits and he runs his exotic vet clinic as affordable as he can. I absolutely love my vet and he is definitely a hard one to find, I know he owns a practice in florida too though.
when I was finding a place initially though I was usually told it would be between 150-200$. I was skeptical to bring him to the 75$ one because i figured it would be cheap because it was bad, but after looking at his facebook page and seeing the bunnies he had worked with and talking to the staff I knew he was in good hands :) !

After everything including initial check up, surgery, meds and recheck oh and testing on the removed parts (thought she had cancerous cysts) it was about $630

i would definitely look into contacting a local spca and asking if they have any vets they could refer you to that can provide a low cost spay. i did this myself and got a $50.00 voucher to go toward the $80 it costs to get my female spayed. pain med for 5 days was $10.00 (metacam .3) and she refused to take her medicine after 3 days. she wouldnt let me anywhere hear her with the syringe. =)

$132.80(comes out as about $111 US). :) In different parts of this country, it can get as low as maybe $80. ($60, or maybe even lower; I don't live around there lol). And yep, good vet, good spay. Happy with how everything went, and I get a free of charge check up today. Glad I don't live in the U.S. ;D

I just got a quote from a vet in town and it was outrageous! They said 400 on the low side and 500$ on the high side, theres no way im paying that. I want to know what other people have paid. I work at a vet and the head vet that does exotics will not spay females, he did my male a few years ago and it cost under 200$ with take home meds etc. I know female spays are a little more tricky but Im sure that can't be the price everyone else is paying!
---what is the vets adversion to female rabbits,--spay-ing cost a little more,,--this is major surgery-either way--the rabbit under goes an examination,anethitization,surgery,--post op.care is very important because the gi tract needs to get moving again,..this is not an easy task--you,ll have to call around but make sure all criteria is met,--for the sake of the bun,--sincerely james waller--$400/even $800 sounds quite high..:eek:ldman::blueribbon::big wink:

I had mine spayed today. Since it was Neuter/Spay month, my local Humane Society offered a list of vets that were doing low-cost spay/neuter during February. I paid $80 out the door. Much better than my local vet's estimate at $325.

Quotes for my vet are $99 (i believe) for a neuter and $199 for a spay.

I would be leary of a vet who claims he does exotics But says he won't spay females. To me, he isn't an exotic vet then.

My rabbit vet charges $90 for a neuter, $110 for a spay. My experience in searching for a good rabbit vet (I researched aLOT because I was so nervous) is the vets who DON'T specialize in rabbits charge MORE. So a high price doesnt=a good spay. Prices do vary depending on where you live but $500-600 sounds extremely high for a spay.

There also is no bigger anestesia risk for rabbits than there are for dogs, cats or any animal going under. If the vet you are talking to says that there is or claims that's why the price is high, don't use that vet.

Check this website to see if there is a vet listed here in your area. Also, there is a list of questions to ask your potential vet as well.

Good luck!

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

Latest posts

Back