Need tips on raising a baby bunny asap!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you think the creamy colored poo means??
You need to contact your vet. We are not vets, also we can't examine him if you follow every advice here you can make things worse. You need to get him to a vet so he can be diagnosed properly.

Firstly, I am so sorry to hear about your trouble with this adorable baby bunny! :( Being a breeder myself, I'm strongly against bottle feeding as I feel nature will take its best course.

Through trial and error I've found that giving the runt extra assisted feedings with mama bun 2x per day (helping it find and attach to a teat, while momma bun is on her back) has helped runts survive and thrive - whereas bottle feeding does not provide all necessary nutrients that are gotten through nursing.

I do not see any reason to separate the baby from mama and siblings in the first place, as eventually he / she does need to learn how to eat by itself - Unless mama is not taking proper care of the babies and / or it is something temperature / disability related, I feel like moving baby bunnies will stress them out in this maybe what's causing the discolored feces :(

What breed(s) are the parents? As you may be aware, in dwarf breeds, there is a thing called peanuts which occurs when 2 true dwarfs are bred and unfortunately they do not live for much longer been a week or two. This is very unlikely seeing how long it has survived already, but knowing some background on the parents may help!

Hopefully you'll be back home and can get the runt back with it mama and sibling ASAP. As well as getting it nursing properly and hopefully growing stronger. As others mentioned, getting in touch with a local vet is a very good idea and I encourage it strongly. The baby has made it this far, and is clearly a fighter!! Seeing as your rabbit did not have a large litter, she should have plenty of milk, but if not, please check out my other forum which includes a list of natural remedies used for breeding does to increase milk flow.

Best of luck!

The mom is a great mom but I was unable to hold her and the baby at the same time to get him fed. I also didn’t bring the siblings as they are perfectly healthy. The mom are dad are both purebred mini Rex.

The mom is a great mom but I was unable to hold her and the baby at the same time to get him fed. I also didn’t bring the siblings as they are perfectly healthy. The mom are dad are both purebred mini Rex.
Can you please explain what you mean about being unable to hold the mom? It may feel awkward to hold both at once, but maybe a family member could help you with this.

Flip her on her back, like you would during nail trimming, and pet her for a bit to get her calm. Then pull the fur away from a teat, and the baby should know what to do from there! You may need to hold the baby on, as it may slip and be in an awkward position belly-down. It may unlatch often, but be persistent and let it feed until it either falls asleep or can't flip over by itself. Seeing how tiny it is, I don't think overfeeding will be an issue.

Bright green poop and then pale(creamy) colored poop, can be indications of a problem with the liver(improper bile secretion). The baby could have been born with the problem, or it could be something like a parasitic infection called hepatic coccidiosis that could be affecting liver function. If the liver problem is congenital, there may not be anything that can be done to ultimately save the baby. If it's hepatic coccidiosis, then if the baby is given the proper meds by the vet there is a chance it could recover. Though with such a young baby and how poorly it is, it may still not make it even with the proper meds. Or it may be something that could self correct, there's no way to know.

@Siskellery just a reminder, do not create multiple threads on the same topic. One thread is sufficient. Click the link below to review forum policy.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/rabbitsonline-forum-policy-and-decorum.10320/
You have received plenty of good responses and suggestions from other members wanting to help. I would suggest following that advice. Find a decent rabbit vet so the baby gets the proper treatment for whatever is going on. I would ask the vet about the possibility of it being hepatic coccidiosis(not intestinal coccidiosis which is different and has different symptoms) because of the low weight gain and the green/pale colored poop.

Last edited:
Is there no way of knowing what the problem is?
After reading this thread, I really want to address something. Breeding without access to a rabbit savvy vet seems a bit irresponsible. When our bunny was acting off, the first thing the vet did is run a series of tests. This can get pricey but in order to find an internal problem in any creature whether it be human or bunny, usually medical tests need to be performed. It could be as simple as a fecal lab test to see if there’s a parasite. Right we got Remy, he had a parasite that we gave him antibiotics for. We never would’ve known had we not done the fecal test. If you would like to continue raising rabbits, it’s important to make sure you have the funds and resources to do so. Best of luck! Hope the baby makes a full recovery <3

Latest posts

Back