Need tips on raising a baby bunny asap!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siskellery

Reaction score
I have a baby bunny that was a runt of the litter. He wasn’t eating and was severely dehydrated! Every time I tried to feed him he would scream and try to get away. He also had neon green poop that was very liquidy. I started to notice he wasnt doing well on the 3rd day. I have been feeding him ever since and he isn’t much bigger! I am feeding him about 3 times a day and he is eating very well but I just noticed he has started to have creamy white colored poop. I am feeding him a mix of goats milk and powdered goats milk. He is 12 days old today and still hasn’t opened his eyes. What would I do and am I doing something wrong? Do you think he has a chance of survival??21208A49-5BBE-4844-ADA8-F1354651C07D.jpeg

Where is his mother, does she still nurse other kits?
All breeding questions best to ask in >> The Rabbitry and Show Room you can get more attention from people with breeding experience

I am out of town and I had to bring the bunny so I don’t have the mom and the other kit. She is a great mom, he was just unable to get enough milk with the other kits pushing him away

I am not even close to an expert in this topic, however I am going to point out that you should find and use a formula especially for baby rabbits. Goats milk is likely lacking in nutrients the bunny needs or contains nutrients that are harmful in the amount that they appear in goats milk.

Even though you've said you don't have a vet now, find a rabbit savvy (or even a general small animal vet if that's all there is) in your community. They will be able to answer a lot of questions and ideally turn this situation into something that is not a tragedy.

And a formula the is made for baby bunnies is very very hard to find!

A pet store, vet clinic (probably the best bet), or farm supply store is probably where you will find it... order some online for down the road, but it's important to begin to transition the baby to the correct food as soon as possible

How much do you recommend feeding him, he is 50 grams and 12 days old.

This is from the House Rabbit society

Feeding Amounts for DOMESTIC/PET Orphaned babies*: Feed twice a day up to these amounts: Newborn– 2.5 cc/ml each feeding. One week old: 6-7 cc/ml each feeding. Two weeks old: 12-13 cc/ml each feeding. Three weeks to six weeks: Up to 15 cc/ml each feeding (a.m. and p.m.). Note this is for DOMESTIC, NOT WILD bunnies. Each bunny varies. If this is a smaller rabbit, he will consume much less. Do NOT overfeed! Contact an HRS contact, rabbit vet, to be sure.

*After each feeding it is important to make the bunny defecate and urinate (if the eyes are not opened yet) to keep the intestinal tract and urinary system running smoothly (only UNTIL their eyes are open). Use a cotton ball moistened with warm water and gently stroke the anal area until the bunny starts producing stool and urine and keep stroking until the bunny stops. You are reproducing the behavior of the mother rabbit who would lick her young to stimulate them to go to the bathroom and to keep the nest clean.

Provide a soft nest area in a box with clean towels, and cover the babies so it is dark until their eyes are open. Do NOT provide extra heat if the room temperature is at least 65 to 70 degrees F because excessive heat can be fatal. If the room is cooler, then you may place a heating pad on a low setting under no more than HALF of the nest so the bunny can move to a cooler area if it gets too warm, and be sure there is no way the mother rabbit can get to or chew the electrical cord!

For domestic rabbits, if you have a healthy adult rabbit at home and you can collect cecotropes (the soft, chain-like droppings that the rabbit usually eats) then these can be mixed with the KMR to give the baby bunny normal bacteria for its intestinal tract. Only one cecotrope per day for 4-5 days is needed. This is particularly important for rabbits under one week of age. Also good is to sprinkle a pinch of acidophilus powder, also called “Probiotic” from human capsules in the milk a little each time for healthy flora for both wild and domestic bunnies.

As soon as their eyes are open, you may introduce the bunnies to plain alfalfa pellets, hay, such as oat hay, timothy, alfalfa. Please refer to the handout Care of Rabbits for more information on diet for domestic, pet rabbits. You may reach [email protected] for domestic/pet rabbit questions. Below is the email for wild rabbit questions: [email protected] (wild) (If links above did not answer your question).

(See above for wild rabbits). For all rabbits, avoid ANY regular milk, puppy formulas, etc. Use KITTEN formulas like KMR. Avoid Esbilac. Feed only upright. Less is better than more! Overfeeding will cause bloat and pain and possible death. Please get to a rehabber.

I'm wrong on goat milk, it apparently can be used, although I will stand by that KMR with added cream is traditionally the best... Additionally, if there is any chance of the mom feeding the baby, that is your best bet.

If a 12 day old bunny is much bigger then I should probably feed less. What do you think about the cream colored poo?

If a 12 day old bunny is much bigger then I should probably feed less. What do you think about the cream colored poo?
This from the link I just gave:

One to two weeks: 5-7 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings per day). The amount will depending on bunny, and may be much LESS if the baby is small.
  • NOTE: Do not allow a baby rabbit overfeed at one sitting! Once a baby learns the Turbo Suck (tm), he can suckle so quickly that it's possible for him to ingest a volume too great for his little tummy. Although it's unlikely for the stomach to rupture, stretching it too taut can cause pain, gas, and make the baby sick. It is better to underfeed slightly than overfeed. If in doubt, let the baby rest for about a minute after feeding, then offer the nipple again. This gives time for the stretch receptors to respond and let the baby know he's really full.

Creamy poo is no good you need to get the baby to the vets. How long you bottle-feed it? When his poo changed to creamy

Thanks for the great information so quickly! I really appreciate it!

Creamy poo is no good you need to get the baby to the vets. How long you bottle-feed it? When his poo changed to creamy

I have been bottle feeding for about 9 days and I just noticed the creamy colored poops today.

Latest posts

Back