Need Some Help With Clipping My Rabbits Nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarsBars14

Reaction score
I’ve had my pet rabbit, Mars for over a year now and there’s never been a problem when cutting his nails, until about a month ago.
I got done cutting his front paw nails and I accidentally cut too far on his back paws. He bled like crazy and I felt really bad. We were able to get him treated and stopped the bleeding but I’m still scared to cut his nails again.
My rabbit has black nails so it’s hard to see his quick. I’ve tried using a flash to see it but it’s no help. I fear that his quick has gotten too long and I’m going to cut it again.
I’m wondering if there is anything I can do to make sure I don’t make the same mistake I did last time.

Yes, there is a way to prevent that. The video will show how you put pressure on the nail with the clippers before actually making the cut. By putting pressure (twice) it will give bunny the chance to flinch. If he flinches, you know you're too far back. If he doesn't, you're good to clip. The video will show it better.
I've done this. It really does work.

I can relate to that very well. I have a black rabbit myself. It is very hard to see where the pink is so that I wont cut the nail to far back. But lately, I have come up with a different way to do things. I sit out in the sunshine, and hold her upside-down between my legs and hold her foot up little bit to let the sunshine shine through her nail (in that way it shows the pink) and clip the nail right above the pink.

That's what I thought at first too. However, my rabbit hates being handled and always resists. He is not one I would consider "handleable" (I've had several like that).

Nevertheless, I mimicked what she did -- even to the point of getting a taller table to put the rabbit on. This put me at the same level that they are in the video. I never thought it would work. I never thought that the back leg thing would work where she holds the rabbit's front up against her torso and can fiddle with the back feet.

I'll have to say I was so surprised to see that it actually did/does work!! So don't assume this method won't work with your rabbit. Follow carefully what she does and copy it. You may just end up as surprised as I was

Latest posts

Back