need some help not to sure what to do

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathy5

Reaction score
as some of you may know on Friday we lost our beloved bunny cocoa:rainbow:

the kids are dealing with it as best as they can but as for me

well it has really kicked me in the but more so that I thought it would. :nerves1

sorry for the long sob story:sad:

it is so hard to walkup the stairs & not see his cage at the top with his cute little wiggley nose looking out at me :apollo:

or take his toys out at night :bigtears:

so what I am wondering do I get another bunny to fill in this hole in our hearts or just wait it out :heartbeat:

it is true when they say you don't know what you have until it is gone

some days I used to complaine about changing his cage & now I would do anything just to be doing it just to have him back :litterhealthy:

I was at work the other day when I thought that there will be no more trips to the kids classrooms for a visit

I got so upset I had to take a break :big kiss:

what should I do?

thanks for your time & careing

kathy

Its hard, I know, Though you will never be able to fill the gap that Cocoa left.

Only you know if you are ready for a new bun- luckily i had dip and fluf to ..fall back on almost - If i didn't I just don't know what I would do.

If you and your children think you are ready then I would go for it, give a lucky bun an amazing home.

:)

I told my husband that when we lose Elf, I may wait a few years for my heart before getting another rabbit. He said, "No you won't. Your heart will be broken and we will need to get another rabbit immediately to help you heal."

He's a smart man.

I think, if you know there's a hole in your heart...it's time to fill it.

Look here

I'm personally the type who looks to adopt pretty soon after a loss, no matter the type of pet it is. Too many animals die each day at shelters due to lack of space and lack homes available.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm with Leaf. I pretty much rescue right away. I feel that the greatest way to honor your beloved companion is to provide a home for another in need.

well this is where I am now.
with the animals we have now the 2 birds & the 1 cat we can go away for about a week with no worries or having some harder animal to take care of like a bunny, also maybe in the spring we may get a puppy but I do not know If I can wait until spring to have this hole in my heart filled.

also I don't want to take the chance on getting another bunny & have it not be as good of a bunny like cocoa was

cocoa din not spray his pee or chew on walls he did chew through 1 PS@2 remote but other that this he was such a great bunny very gentil & sweet you could hold him for a very long time & he would not wiggle or fidget.

I know that If we get another bunny it will in no way be the same as our beloved cocoa but I also want a well behaved bunny too
what to do what to do
thank you all for your kind words & thoughts.....

if you do get a bunny, i would get one that maybe didn't look so much like cocoa. that way you won't always be expecting it to act like cooca

I think that rescuing a rabbit in the name of a binky free bunny is a very good thing. But if you don't feel ready for another bun don't feel rushed or anything! I am sure that you will come to a good decision that will fit your life!

Aly!:tongue

You loved Cocoa so much, so did the kids, I can't see you not getting another. But, then again, I can. It is so hard when you lose them, I'm still not entirely ready and I lost Angel almost a year ago.

I think you should keep your eyes open, you never know when a bun will strike your fancy;). I also think you should get another bun, on your time. You were a great bun mommy!:D I also think to look at buns that are different to Cocoa. I wish you the best of luck, and if it's meant to be, it'll happen.;)

JadeIcing wrote:
Well when you go through a rescue the bun is living in a home. So you can tell the rescue and they can try and find one that suits you.

I totally agree. All of our rescues are in foster and we can tell you in great detail about the rabbits personality and habits.

I am the type that needs another bunny right away. With both of the two I have had pass away, I adopted a new one within a week. Heck, when one of my fosters gets adopted I can't wait to fill the pen with a new one!

Many rescues will allow you to enter into a foster-to-adopt situation to see if the bunny is the right one for you.

Elf Mommy wrote:
I told my husband that when we lose Elf, I may wait a few years for my heart before getting another rabbit. He said, "No you won't. Your heart will be broken and we will need to get another rabbit immediately to help you heal."

He's a smart man.

I think, if you know there's a hole in your heart...it's time to fill it.
I've not been visiting the Rainbow Bridge forum lately; I've just learned of your loss. I am so very sorry. :tears2::hug2:

And I think that Elf Mommy's suggestion is a wise one. ;) If you feel that you could provide unconditional love to another bun, while stillallowing yourself time to grieve over your loss of Cocoa, then it seems like the right time to me.

If the timing feels right, then it's right. And so many deserving bunners are in need of a loving home. :(

As someone else suggested, I would lean toward getting a bunny who looks considerably different from Cocoa to avoid making major comparisons between them. And I would take as much time as you need interacting with various bunnies, to ensure that you and your children find a bun who best "fits" your family dynamic.

Best of luck; remember to enjoy the search and that, in doing so, you'll be offering extra attention to bunners who need it. :D

So sorry to hear of your loss.

We had to put our dog down a couple of years ago. Even with three kids the house seemed quiet without her. So two weeks later we got another dog. I just need to have pets around me.

Good luck in search of your new family member!!

slavetoabunny wrote:
Many rescues will allow you to enter into a foster-to-adopt situation to see if the bunny is the right one for you.

I think this is a good idea. Fostering is a great way to give a bunny a chance to live instead of taking a walk out the back door. Shelters/rescues are usually looking for more experienced bunny-friendly-homes.

I know that Cocoa was your heart-bunny. Ilost my heart-bunny about three years ago now. I love Patrick and Lunaso much,although mynext heart-bunny is still waiting for me. I will know my heart-bunny when I hold them. All I am saying, is wait for your heart-bunny, but perhaps find a way to help another duringtheir time of need.Just a thought....

myheart

Latest posts

Back