Need some help identifying a baby bird my sister brought home.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myLoki

Reaction score
Please tell me if you know what it is. It appears to be some bird of prey. I'm taking it back to the area she found it in tomorrow to try to find its nest. I suspect it might be an owl, but I'm not sure. Can anyone tell me what to do for it until I can get it back to its mom? I gave it water and it drank but I don't know what to feed it.
Spring2010182.jpg

Spring2010184.jpg

Spring2010185.jpg

Spring2010182.jpg

photostream
t.

I found a wildlife rehabilitator in a city close to me so I'm going to call her tomorrow morning. In the meantime the website says leave water for it and keep it in a warm dark place. I'm going to do that and pray it makes it through the night.

t.

All the youtube videos seem to be older birds. This is a very little baby. I just don't know what to do to help this little one. He keeps opening his mouth up to me. My guess is he's hungry. He trills and trills until I let him sit in my hand. I think he's cold. Would a warm rice sock help him stay warm?

t.

Is there any way to get it to a rehabber or at least be in touch with one for further advice TONIGHT? It's risky to feed a baby bird if you lack the expertise, and the first 24 hours are crucial for orphaned wildlife. He needs to be kept warm and hydrated. I would get him someplace dark, quiet, and warm (baby birds MUST be kept warm and away from the stress of human interaction). At that age I don't think a water bowl is wise (I don't rehab birds of prey but we wouldn't put a bowl for any of the species I work with), and you should NEVER manually water a baby bird yourself, as you may aspirate it. I know that with song birds, we generally soak a high quality cat food pellet in warm water and feed that with tweezers, but I don't know that this is the protocol with birds of prey since I am not licensed for them. Until you can correspond directly with a rehabber, don't feed it anything. If you can't transport it tonight please do call tonight.

Well, I called her anyway. She said to put it up in a wicker basket close to where my sister found it tomorrow morning and mom should come get it. She said to keep it warm and comfortable but no feeding so he'll be hungry and calling out tomorrow morning. Praying he makes it through the night.

Edited to add: Oh! And it's a coke bottle top with water so I don't think there's a danger of drowning.

t.

Glad you called; most rehabbers I know (myself included) are used to getting called at ungodly hours and are happy to help. Best of luck tomorrow!

That is exactly what I would have told you to do (I am also a rehabber). And calling her at 9:45 in this case was good, because owls are nocturnal, so that is when the mom would be taking care of the baby. Unless you saw an injury, there is no reason to think it wouldn't make itthrough the night - there are tons of baby owls right now doing justfine out there!

Just to give you an idea what it takes for a rehabilitator to raise a baby owl: Handfed mice pieces three times a day, to a bird that is scared of you; when he gets older, he has to be live prey trained so that the rehabber knows the owl knows how to hunt on its own. Sometimes they get it, sometimes they don't. They can only learn that from their parents, so if they don't get it, they can't be released, and then have to be placed somewhere. It is very sad, to never be free.

So, you did the exactly right thing - mom will take care of him & teach him how to grow up into a self-sufficient owl:biggrin2:

PS - This translates into all things wild! Leave the baby birds and mammals to their mom, unless you see an injury. Unless you see the actual mother on the nest be killed, don't assume that the animal you saw in the road up the block was the mother of what you found - it probably wasn't.

Often times, mother birds deliberately kick out unfit babies; it's possible the reason he was out of the nest was that something was wrong, which is why he passed. You DID do the right things, but sadly baby wildlife is delicate. :(

Just try to remember that this is the circle of life. These things do happen and they happen for reasons unclear to us.

I am so sorry tho.

Latest posts

Back