Need Independent bun sitter or reliable "business" in Long Island NY

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuteus

Reaction score
I am going away for 3-4 days and my former sitter is no longer available. I noticed a good amount of businesses in my google search claiming rabbit experience. Anyone has used these sitter businesses or know reliable sitters for in home care? I have 2 middle aged and senior bunnies and I am hoping not to board them. I have been thinking about doing rabbit sitting myself now that I am retired but have not done so yet. Seeing how much a good bun caregiver is needed, I should offer my services. Tips on good sitters in my area, anyone?

There are two House Rabbit Society chapters in New York -- one marked as NYC and the other is upstate. NYC is still a stretch, but you could potentially reach out to them and see if within their volunteer/foster network, there is someone who is nearby and willing to sit for you. I know my HRS chapter has its own bunny sitting group where these requests are taken.

Edit: Here is the link to the NYC chapter's page: Contact Us | Rabbit Rescue &Rehab

Maybe Long Island Rabbit Rescue has experienced fosters/sitters that would be willing to make home visits or babysit in their homes?

Thank you NYAngela. I posted a plea on their FB page, but I will try and send an IM instead. I once used Care.com to find a sitter but that site is mostly geared to dogs and cats and has no sorting program that will narrow down a search for exotics sitters. You have to read through pages of profiles to find one that mentions small animals. I had the same problem when I had finches in addition to bunnies. Thanks again. Thanks to John also. I used to go to the HRS conference when they held them in New Rochelle years ago and there were people from LI there also.

I'm not from the area, but maybe try reaching out to local (ethical) breeders. One thing I do is offer boarding to all of my past babies and other bunnies in need of it! So I always have an empty cage just in case 😉 As a breeder I offer some in-home services but not many others are willing to do this because of the time commitment. But it's worth the shot asking...

Also, I found neighbors to be a great resource not only for checking on my bunnies and helping me socialize, but also helping me supervise them when in their outside pens. So possibly one of your neighbors has experience and / or is willing to check on your bunny a few times a day.

If neither of those are an option for you, reach out to a local rabbit rescue as others mentioned, or even your vet as both board bunnies. The only thing is, it would not be at home but in my opinion is totally worth it so your bunny is in good, experienced hands.

Latest posts

Back