Need Ideas To Keep Cats Out Of Buns Cages...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
My mom is thinking of moving in with me and she has 2 cats. Worried about the cats:(My cages don't have tops so I'd like to put tops on them. I don't know how her cats will act toward my bunnies. So what could I use for tops?? Any ideas?? I have NIC cages, so that makes it harder for me to think of something.

I told her we could try the cats here first but if it doesn't work they would have to go. My bunnies come first.

Thanks for any suggestions!! :)Gonna post a pic of my cages. The cages are made the same.

April

IMG_0424.jpg

Picture of cage. What could I lay across that would keep cats out??

Could I use plastic cable ties and tie a bunch of NIC panels together and attach to cage or would it bow??

I wanna say I love my mom cats, even though I'm not a cat person.But my mom wants to move in with me. So I'm willing to try the cats. But if the cats wanna eat my bunnies, they'll have to be re- homed. Which I know will be very sad.

I'm hoping all will work out! So I can add 2 cats to our pet family :)

It probably will bow but go to Home Depot and get long wood Dowels then you can slide them into the slits of the NIC on each side with no problems, thats what I do

Newbuncage91209.jpg

Look at the far back of this pic, in the corner you will see I have 2 wood dowels supporting the walkway for the buns

I also use the wooden supports in my NIC condos to support the levels, just like Denise has posted. I got mine at either Home Depot or Lowes. Instead of dowels, I used 2x2 sticks of wood. These fit pretty well through the (smaller) holes in the NIC panels. (Since the holes vary slightly in size, some are a little snug, some slip through easily.) Either of those stores will cut wood or dowels for you, should be free, if you measure before you go. I allow 2 inches extra on each side.

The panels will bow slightly, but will rest on the wood and be very secure. You could then use the zip ties to secure the panels to the top.

OH i also zip tied the dowels or sticks to the NIC I found when my big butt bumped the cage the dowels moved... so if this happened a few times...which it did they would fall down on one side. I zip tied them on each side and I solved the problem

I wouldn't worry too much about the bunns...

We have 10 bunns and 5 cats...the bunns are very tolerant of the cats and they all get along pretty well...but it was an adjustment when we brought our first bunn home...for awhile the cats were in and out of the bunns cages...but it didn't take long for the bunns to lay down ground rules...the one rabbit our cats FEAR is also one of our smallest...she is a 2.5 pound black double mane lionhead...and she tolerates no crap from cats! In fact we had to give her her own room to protect the cats!

In a pinch I would worry more about the cats...rabbits will defend their territory vigerously! Given a bit of time they will probably set up a heirarchy and get along...it may take some adjustment...but it should work out....

Here is a pic of treat time at our house...our bunnman Dandelion is the fuzzy blob closest to my feet...he doesn't know that it is the cats treat time...he is hoping there is bunny treats on the plate and not just soft cat food! lol

Picture065.jpg

Good Luck!

Danielle

Wow.. Thanks for sharing. Cute pic!! :)

I'm not worried aboutthe spayed femalecat but the other is a neutered male Man Coon(SP??). He's very dominiant. So I'm worried about him. I hope things go well, so mom can keep them.

Thanks again....April

I LOVE Maine Coons!:D

Hubby says I have to live outside if I bring one more anything fuzzy home! :D

It was funny but our cats were fine with bunns...if we brought another cat in the house...OMG...watch out! But they took a sniff of the bunns and wandered off...apparently rabbits bore them! lol

You can watch and see what the cats are like with the rabbits...sometimes cats that haven't lived around other animals need time to adjust...you wouldn't want to leave them unattended at first...but our rabbits are very tolerant...they are particularly fascinated by cats with fuzzy tails...much to our boys disgust! They love to try to sneak up on him and get a bit of snuffling and grooming in...he sits there looking disgusted and finally just hops the gate and leaves...lol Poor guy!

We also brought rabbits into a cat household...whereas you will be bringing cats to a house already owned by rabbits...the cats will be freaked out already by the move and the rabits may not like the idea of sharing their house! Dominant or not I think the male may be in for some hard lessons! lol

If you do want to make a top for the bunn cage...running dowels and making a lid of clear chloroplast would work...or just using more NICs might be better since the cats will walk on the chloroplast and drive the bunns nuts!

Danielle

My mom's cats haven't been around other animals. I think we've brought in a dog here or there. But the cats didn't like it and hid. Lol. I'll let my mom know what you said. Hopefully they can adjust to their new environment. I will give them plenty of time.

I have nic lids on my cages and have found that I don't need dowels for the lid personally.

I know some members (maherwoman in particular) have put hardware cloth on their nic cages to keep kitty paws out.

Latest posts

Back