need help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roach98

Reaction score
My girlfriend just got my daughter a rabbit and idon't no anything about them. We are trying to figure out ifit is a boy or a girl and we don't no how to tell them apart. Any helpwould be greatly welcomed.

Also do rabbits have eyelids?

Well I just got a new bun and my vet told me thatits hard to tell what the sex is intill they get a little bit older,but what he told me to do is when the bun is really relaxed you cansometimes feel its testicles.

Im not an expert and dont know much thats just what my vet told me.

He also said that if they are really nervous or scared and they aremale they can somehow squeeze their testies into themselves but he saidhe can be sure intill he/she(lol) gets older.

Someone else here might be able to help you better. Thats what I was told.:)

Sara and Duncan

well thanks it sure does help to no that cause mydaughter is set on it being a girl and i really hope that it is so thatshe isn't devistated by it being a boy

When I got my bun the people at the pet storetold meDuncan was a boy and then I went to the vet the vetsaid he thought it was a girl so my hands are up in the air about thatlol.

Im actually hoping Duncan is a boy for several reasons. From what iveread about, boys are more well behaved and Neutring is lesscostly(which is a plus because im cheap, lol) But I guess it depends onhow you see the things?

What does he/she look like?

Sara and Duncan

well i have an iguanna and a dog but they haven't meet yet and they prob. wont

so do u no if rabbits have eyelids or not my girlfriend was wanting 2 no

please don't take this the wrong way, but if yourvet can't tell at nine weeks what sex your rabbit is then he probablydoes not have a ton of experience with rabbits and maybe you shouldlook for a new vet to insure that your little bunny gets the best ofcare. carolyn posted this EXCELLENT listof questions to ask your vet--i will try to find it and bump it.

yes rabbits have eyelids. blow around your rabbits eyes it will make him blink.

yes bucks can draw thier testicles up into thier body for a minute

to sex a rabbit, turn it upside down and hold the tail between yourindex and middle finger, and pull down, then press above the genitalarea with your thumb, thus stretching the area and making the organ beexposed. does will be longer with a slit, while bucks will be roundedwith a little nob at the top. at that age testicles will not be droppedyet. mature rabbits are very very easy to sex.

Duncan is only about 5 or six weeks old. I Tryeddoing what you said and im not positively clear on how you tell the twoapart, since if its a male its testicles havent droped.

"does will be longer with a slit, while bucks will be rounded with a little nob at the top"

thats the part im not understanding?

when you extend/expose/push out (i'm not veryeloquent tonight am i) the genital organ, when you push it out so thatit is entirely exposed, you can tell if its a buck or doe...if youdon't push it out all the way it will always look like abuck. but if you do it fully, u should be able to tell...itsactually a lot easier if you have like a litter to sex instead of justone so u can compare. butagain, the doe's organwill be longer and thinner with a slit or opening down the middle,whereas at that age a buck will look almost like the anal opening underit.

oh i know i'm doing a terrible job explaining i'm falling asleep...its5 am...havent been to bed yet. somebody else will answerbetter:)

Welcome, roach98, & congrats on the new member of your family! :}

Here's a good site on sexing rabbits:http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/sexing.htm

And rabbits have 2 sets of eyelids, like cats.:D Some rabbits rarely close their eyes (at leastnot when anyone's looking), though... it's a prey animal thing.

Also, I highly recommend browsing around on this site:http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html. There are links there to pretty much everything you couldever want to know about rabbits. :}

Hi and welcome !

Congratulations on your new bunny, you are in for a tonne of fun and lovins!!

There are plenty of great posts here to go through , up top of thisforum is a search field you can go over some old posts if you like Ifound that helped me a lot, still does, just pop in what you arelooking for and away you go.

Goodluck and once again welcome, and umm can we see a picture of your new bunny????;););)
Oh "Please" Sorry forgot my manners LOL

roach98 wrote:
well thanks it sure does help to no that cause my daughteris set on it being a girl and i really hope that it is so that sheisn't devistated by it being a boy

Males are much more friendly and easier to tame and train.Females are great too! Mine really likes to cuddle :p

It depends on personality of a bunny butotherwises it does not make much difference if its a girl or a boyunless you are planning to breed them.

Hello and welcome!

The only thing I wanted to add about your questions is that in males,you will see 2 hairless spots where the testicles are/willbe. You have to look closely and they are located above thegenital area, not below as in most animals.

Sara -It's hard to sex them at that age, their "stuff" isreally small, but it can be done. I was able to sex Orion andSaphy at 5 weeks, but it was hard and I've had lots of practice. LOL

Jen

Latest posts

Back