Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoe Franchino

Reaction score
Hi all! So about two months ago I picked up a bunny that I plan to use for 4H. He’s a two year old Netherland Dwarf buck, and has been shown before and done really really well in his classes. Tonight, for the first time ever, I picked him up and attempted to pose him. It didn’t go very well.

He didn’t want to be touched or caught, and tried to run away when I would try to pick him up. Then, once I had caught him, I calmed him down and then set him on a table. I tried to pose him but it was like he’d never done it before, he was pushing against my hand and wouldn’t stand still, and kept trying to run away on the table. Currently, he’s laying in his cage breathing very quickly and is letting me touch him all over, which is not something he normally does. Unusual behavior for him.

I don’t know what to do. I don’t have much experience with bunnies. He’s my first bunny and I don’t want to show him if I have to fight him, as I don’t want to accidentally hurt him.

Any advice is appreciated.

Netherland Dwards are a bit harder to pose than some other breeds. You said he was pushing against your hand? I'm not sure how you are posing him but the way I pose dwarfs that would be difficult. They need to pose with their head up (unlike some other breeds). Once you get their head up, the hard part is getting them to stay, especially for showmanship. Part of that is structural. Part of it comes with practice. When you practice you want your rabbit to not be stressed out. If he starts getting too stressed, I'd advise putting him up for a while. A smaller table with a lot of traction (a carpet square works) is best for getting him to pose. Netherland dwarfs are known to be a bit uncooperative about posing and get flighty if not worked with often

Work with him daily even if just for 2-5 mins. Our Californian buck used to bite my daughter until she gained his trust. She shows Californians, lionhead, Dutch, mini lops and mini Rex.
You can start out by gaining his trust by hand feeding him carrot as treat, petting him. Always make sure you hold him properly when you take him out of cage. One thing when he starts fighting when you hold him, you can tuck his head under your arm so it covers his eyes that calms them down. It takes awhile for them to learn how to trust new owner.

Latest posts

Back