Need help with discovering fun and yummy alfalfa treats for 2 month old bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all

I'm new to this forum and will be introducing myself and my Holland lop, Zelda, soon.

Zelda is two months old, and my husband purchased her for me as a gift during a difficult time,. She's as sweet as sugar. She loves giving kisses.

Because of her young age, I feed her alfalfa hay and do my best to feed her alfalfa pellets. However, she refuses to eat the alfalfa pellets and only eats the breeder's garbage—the kind of food with dried carrots and seeds. Of course, I pick those out.

I'd like to give her treats suitable for her age. Something to give her to help train her and continue to create a bond. However, all I can find is timothy hay treats.

Does anyone know where I can find age-appropriate treats for a growing rabbit? Etsy or maybe amazon?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Kat

Have you looked into excell range of flavoured nuggets? If you can find it, botanical hay smells like tea and my little Bambi loves it!!

Mine love the Timothy versions of these:
alfalfa.jpg

They can toss them, carry them around, and they love the chewing required. There's lots of different brands, the photo is just for reference. They're compressed alfalfa.

Hello! I give my 3 month old rabbit the occasional oxbow treats (the ones with just the fruit or veggie ingredients) and from shops on Etsy. I would recommend messaging the sellers and asking what they would recommend for a young rabbit and they can give you a list of the treats they bake for the young ones. I typically buy from Archies Bakery and FluffyBunConfections but there are so many out there. Amazon does have hay pellets but my bun is so picky she won’t eat them!

What brand/type of pellets are you trying to switch to and how are you going about trying to make that change? Is the old muesli mix being free fed or do you limit how much is fed each day? Do you feed any grass hay and if so, does your bun eat much of it?

It would be a really good idea to try and figure out now, how to make some changes with your buns diet or you're in for a BIG challenge later on when your bun is an adult and you have to switch to a grass hay and adult pellets. Rabbits on an exclusively alfalfa hay diet, more often than not, grow up to be extremely picky and difficult to transition off of alfalfa.

With your bun only being 9 weeks old, I would strongly suggest not introducing treats and other new foods(veg) into the diet until 12 weeks old. Unless a baby bun grew up getting veg and fruit with mom, making sudden changes in a baby rabbits diet can lead to serious digestive illness developing, particularly when those changes are high carb/sugary foods.

Though if you're able to make some dietary changes now and get your bun off the muesli mix, you may be able to use the muesli as a training treat until your bun is 12 weeks old and it's a bit safer to gradually start on some new foods, because your buns digestive tract is already used to digesting the muesli mix.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/feeding.html

Latest posts

Back