Need help with a school project about rabbits and families.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A & B

Reaction score
I'm doing a speech for my English class about why rabbits are better family pets than dogs. Does anyone have kids around rabbits? If your willing to share, I'm looking for pictures of rabbits running around a house, with the family, with young kids, and just doing things people usually don't think of when they think of a rabbit (sleeping on a couch, etc). Any help is greatly appreciated! (Faces will be blurred out if you wish).

I bet Blue Eyes would have some cool pics.

Not sure I have anything really good, but I do have a bun-on-the-couch pic, a bun-on-the-stairs pic, and bun-in-the-coffee-table pic.

DSCF1014.JPG DSCF0680.JPG DSCF0995.JPG

Thank you! Those pictures are amazing and adorable!

All of these bunnies are absolutely adorable! Thank you to all who have shared!

@Blue eyes I have to ask, I've noticed that your broken (I think) chinchilla lop, lays with a white rabbit and an (again I think) agouti but I never see all three together or the agouti and the white together. Is one of them an old bonding partner that passed on to rainbow bridge or do they just not all lay together?

I am not too sure myself if bunnies are better than dogs with kids really. Of course, this will vary with individual cases, but in general bunnies have their diva moments, and I would generally advise against small kids handling them, unless supervised by adults. I think they are brilliant pets for teenagers and adults, though, as they require a lot of patience and resilience!
Some of them are really smart, and can be loads of fun!
I can send you videos of my minilop going up and running down the stairs, zooming mad in the garden, solving a puzzle and goofing out on the couch, if you like.

I am not too sure myself if bunnies are better than dogs with kids really. Of course, this will vary with individual cases, but in general bunnies have their diva moments, and I would generally advise against small kids handling them, unless supervised by adults. I think they are brilliant pets for teenagers and adults, though, as they require a lot of patience and resilience!
I can send you videos of my minilop going up and running down the stairs, zooming mad in the garden, solving a puzzle and goofing out on the couch, if you like.
I'd love some videos!

Did you try private messaging them? If that doesn't work, we can try e-mailing.

Videos can be uploaded to YouTube for sharing. You can make them unlisted if you only want those with the link to have access.

(I have several videos on my site)

I didn't reply back to your statement. I'm saying that rabbits are better family pets than dogs if the parent is the primary caretaker. Bunnies are quiet and don't have predatory instincts. Dogs can bark loud and that can scare young kids. They can also be aggressive. I'm not saying bunnies aren't aggressive, but they always have a reason for being aggressive such as being touched when not wanting to, being carried, in pain, etc. Some dogs (mine included) are just aggressive and there's nothing that can be done about that.

I would lean more toward what Zelda said. 'Better' is a relative term. For families with young kids, I would say a dog would be a better option -- a dog known to be a family friendly breed. Dogs can handle the unintended abuse of young children. Dogs are very forgiving and always ready for affection -- none of which is true of rabbits. Dogs may also be better for a family with rowdy or unruly pre-teens as well. No aggressive dog is suitable for families.

Perhaps your subject could be more along the lines of "rabbits can be more suitable pets than dogs for some families." I wouldn't want to be encouraging those who have very young children (who want to pick up and squeeze and generally harass any cute critter) to get a rabbit. Wouldn't be good for the poor rabbit. Nor would I encourage a rowdy family with undisciplined kids (of any age) to have a rabbit. -- just some thoughts to consider.

You have a good idea for a speech and have some good points. Tempering it by acknowledging rabbits aren't suitable for all families may make it more convincing.

Latest posts

Back