Need help! Will pumpkin seeds and ginger work??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southshore

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My rabbit has been diagnosed with DIPYLIDIUM worms. Does anyone has a y experience with this parasite? Also I have read that pumpkin seeds with grapefruit extract water will cure the rabbit of the problem. I have also read that ginger works great as well. I have read that the right medication for tapeworm in rabbits is Prazequantel.

Also does dichotomous earth work for tapeworms?

If any of you have any knowledge of the above mentioned remedies PLEASE let me know. Thanks!

My sources:
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Anti_parasitics
https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/06/09/medicinal-herbs-for-rabbits/amp/
https://www.britishhomeopathic.org/...als/holistic-care-and-management-for-rabbits/

Years ago I used diatomaceous earth for tape worms and it worked well. At the time I used it, there were no warnings and it was believed to be safe. My rabbits did not have a problem with it, but now there are reports online saying that it is dangerous to give to rabbits.

DE can hurt the lungs if inhaled. I used to put it on my rabbit's food, so it wasn't inhaled. I sometimes dampened their greens so it would stick to the food. DE looks like shards of glass under a microscope. When it comes in contact with worms or insects, it cuts them and they die of dehydration. It sounds scary, but DE is a powder. I did see some tests years ago on mice, and they are not hurt by DE. I know of no reported cases where the digestive tract of rabbits were cut up because of DE, and so I don't know if it is really a problem in the digestive tract of rabbits, or if the warning is because of someone's theory. Drug companies have to do testing and provide proof of how safe their drugs are, but DE isn't a drug, so the safety is unknown.

Thank you for taking out the time to reply. Are they saying it is dangerous because they can inhale it?

Last edited:
Oh I see. Thank you so much for clarifying. You mentioned that there were online reports saying that DE is harmful. Do these reports provide any proof? On what basis are they making these claims?

Oh I see. Thank you so much for clarifying. You mentioned that there were online reports saying that DE is harmful. Do these reports provide any proof? On what basis are they making these claims?
No, there are no studies that I have found online that support the claim the DE is dangerous to rabbits. DE has been used by farmers for many years to treat animals with good results, and it is sold in farm and garden stores in large bags. It is often mixed if cattle feed. It comes in food grade and is sometimes put in food that is used to feed people in poor countries where parasites are found in people. There are claims online about DE being dangerous to rabbit, but I have never seen any actual reports or evidence of rabbits being harmed by DE.

Oh ok. Thank you so much! Did you use any allopathic treatments/ medicine for your rabbit along with DE? If yes then which medicine did you use.

Oh ok. Thank you so much! Did you use any allopathic treatments/ medicine for your rabbit along with DE? If yes then which medicine did you use.
No. I used DE by itself. I tried pumpkin seeds, but gave up. I could find no information on how much to use, and what I was giving them did nothing. Since pumpkin seeds are a food source, I wasn't sure if too many would be bad for my rabbits. DE is not a food source, and I could find no instructions on how much to use. Since DE comes out in the poop and very little absorbed by the body, I reasoned that it was probably hard to overdose on. There are no chemicals in DE, so I felt that it was probably safer to use then a chemically developed drugs. My rabbits never showed any side effects with DE, and there is a long history of DE being used on animals. Since I have found no scientific studies on DE, I don't have any authority to tell you that it is totally safe. I will only say that I used it on my rabbits with good results.

Ah ok. That's great. I am happy your rabbits got cured.

Are there scientific studies showing excellent results of DE on livestock?

There is a fact sheet by the National Pesticide Information Center, but I can't seem to download it.

"In a rabbit study , researchers found no health effects after applying diatomaceous earth to the rabbit's skin five times per week for three weeks. In a rat study, researchers fed rats high doses of DE for 6 months. they found no reproductive or developmental effects. In another rat study, the only effect was more rapid weight gain. that study involved 90 days of feeding rats with a diet made of 5% DE."

When guinea pigs were forced to breathe air containing DE for 2 years, there was slightly more connective tissue in their lungs. When researchers checked before the 2-year mark, no effects were found."

Ah ok. That's great. I am happy your rabbits got cured.

Are there scientific studies showing excellent results of DE on livestock?

Claims made by those in the cattle industry say that DE improves digestive health and gives animals a shinier coat. DE also acts as a preservative in feed by absorbing moisture and prevents mold or rot.

Only "Food Grade" DE should be used on animals.

I found no studies on cattle.

Claims made by those in the cattle industry say that DE improves digestive health and gives animals a shinier coat. DE also acts as a preservative in feed by absorbing moisture and prevents mold or rot.

Only "Food Grade" DE should be used on animals.

I found no studies on cattle.
Oh ok. Thank you so much for taking out the time to go through and respond tomy post! 👍

Latest posts

Back