Need help...traveling with bunnies...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mochajoe

Reaction score
I figured since many breeders travel to shows, some great distances, like the National Show, with their bunnies, this would be the best place to post this. We are selling our house and will be moving and very likely from NH to OH, several hundred miles. What is the best, safest way to travel this distance with bunnies? I would love any suggestions or advice. Moving is still months away...I just want to be prepared! Thanks!!!

put the buns in an airy travel container just big enough for them to turn around/stretch out in.

Have a small water bowl or bottle for the container. Give them hay to munch on.
If stopping over night give some pellets.

Watch for digestive upset/immune system disorders as some rabbits do not travel well.

the best travel carriers usually come from rabbit cage suppliers BUT a properly size small animal carrier will work well too. Just sold a cat carrier yesterday to a gal who will be travelling with her cat to NS this summer. :)

When we go to shows that are pretty far away we put ours in rabbit carriers. The advantage is that it will hold a cup for water and one for pellets and the wire floor allows them to poop/pee without them having to sit in it. You could use a cat carrier also and maybe put a towel down. We give ours a little water and hay to eat on the trip and then give them the pellets at night. If we have to stay in a hotel we'll usually bring them in the room and let them run around for a bit.

When I moved my rabbitry, from Upstate NY to Eastern KY, I moved them in their cages- but I had the whole back end of a pickup truck to work with. They had their food dishes but only got water at our pit stops so it didn't splash around (un-stacking and restacking the cages was a PAIN but doable). I had one that was older, he traveled in a cat carrier on the front seat with me and I left it open and he did have water throughout the whole trip, a dish on the seat next to me-how I didn't end up with a wet butt is beyond me. I only lost two, my older pair of polish(my only polish), and that was when a Semi tire blew up in a blasting zone(just HUGE coincidence at location) and it scared the crap out of me and many of the driver's around me too, but you could feel the vibration in the truck so I could see it set a couple of the bunnies thumping and I figured the 4 year old polish pair wouldn't handle that well- they weren't much for traveling to begin with(lazy cage space but cute little rescue's that I hadn't been able to rehome before I moved). The other 23 rabbits moved without incident.
in fact I still have 3 of them left, one just turned 7, one turned 6 a week ago and the last one I moved her as a 3 month old, and she just turned 4 and just weaned a litter, so they're tough little guys. Get them used to traveling in the vehicle they'll be riding in a head of time too!

I use small dog/cat carriers for my rabbits. I have food and water cups that clip into the door, bird coop cups work well too if you can't find anything else. A small towel works well in the bottom. I also put hay in for them to munch on. A larger (medium size cat carrier) can hold a corner litter box as well.

I would not use a carrier that is too big as it can become dangerous in an accident. Enough room to sit up and turn around should be good. A bigger rabbit or a pair will need a bigger carrier.
Hard sided is better as soft ones can be easily chewed. Hard ones do protect in an accident. If needed, you can stack them, but you do need to make sure they won't be moving around once you get moving.

I would keep the rabbits in the car with you. You can better monitor them and keep the temperature comfortable.

If you are staying in a hotel, make sure they allow pets and even specifically rabbits. Bring a pen or cage so your rabbits can get out. If you use a pen, have a tarp or some plastic to protect the carpet.

Bring lots of food and have it easy to access. You will want at least enough for the trip and then some for a few day when you get there and unpack. Having at least a full bag will allow you time to get settled and be able to transition food if you have to. If you have a lot of rabbits, then at least a couple weeks worth of food is needed. The same goes for hay, bring enough for the trip and extra for when you get there. Veggies you can usually buy on the way so they are fresh. IT can be good to bring water or use bottled water as it can be different from place to place and you want your rabbits to keep drinking.

If the trip will be over a couple days, you will want to bring extra bedding for the carrier. 1 towel per day should be enough. Puppy pads can also be used if your rabbit won't chew them, they don't take up much room and can be thrown out after.

Since you have time before you travel, start getting your rabbits used to travel now. Buy the carrier and have them in your rabbits area. You can put treats inside to encourage them to go in (leave the door off so it doens't get in the way). You can also go on outings so they get used to going out and coming back, pet stores are good for this as they are usually pet friendly. Even just driving around in the car for a bit can help get them used to the travel. There isn't too much you can do to prepare them for the full journey, but having them be comfortable in the carrier and car helps a lot.

Latest posts

Back