NEED HELP! Taming my new bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiminpimin

Reaction score
So I recently fostered 2 sibling bunnies to see if I will adopt them and it's been 6 days. I'm an impatient person but I really need advice PLEASE!
So basically this groomer fostered these bunnies before when they were babies and someone adopted them. Later they divorced and ended up with a rabbit rescue. I then decided to foster them and they've been pretty scared. I've had a bunny back in 5th grade and he was easily tamed and the sweetest boy. Anyways any advice to tame them and to let them know I'm not a threat?
Yes, I've tried everything. I've watched all videos on bonding with rabbits and getting onto their level but they just sniff and go away. They're okay with me feeding them up close but then hides in their hidey house. I let them roam around the house and they sniff me when I lay down but still scared when I pet them even though the old owner claims that they love head rubs and will be all over me when they've bonded with me. I also laid in the cage and let them sniff me for hours but wasn't effective.
Overall, they're still scared when I approach to them and don't really come up to me unless they're hungry and want food. They also don't let me pet :( They would just back off slowly... I tried feeding them bananas (they go nuts for it) but eh still the same after. They're both spayed and are potty trained. They're really calm but the female would be shy and scared. TOO EASILY actually. The male would sniff me a lot more and isn't as scared. Any advice would be grateful ..THANKS!

6 days is no time at all! :)

They may very well still be getting used to their new surroundings. Did you start interacting with them from day one? It is best to allow new rabbits a full 48 hours undisturbed in their cage when first moved to a new home. This allows them to safely and more quickly adjust to the new sights, sounds and smells of their new home.

They need time to adjust to their new surroundings before learning who you are. From their perspective, they just entered an alternate dimension, a new reality, a new world. It can take them time to adjust.

Once that happens, you already know what steps to take. Spend time with them on their level and in their area. Do not touch them at all... not for awhile. They need to learn you are safe, and they learn that by you ignoring them while they crawl over you or just come up and sniff you. In time, you'll be able to offer a treat and pet them while they take it.

But be patient. Some rabbits take many weeks (some even months) before they warm up. Yes, some seem fine on day one or two, but there are plenty that take much more time to warm up to their human.

Latest posts

Back