Need help . Rabbit watery eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mony96

Reaction score
I need help finding a solution to my holland loop rabbit . I have taken him several times to to the vet .
His eyes get so watery and white stuff comes out of his eye. Do you all know what other remedies I should try. Is getting itchy because now he made a big scratch around his eye and his fur is gone around the eye . I dont know whatelse to do .
Let me now what else I can do .

I can't say much without seeing a picture. It would be great if you could post one so the admins can see what is going, but I would find a different vet. There is almost certainly some kind of irritation occurring and a good vet should prescribe something to either reduce the irritation or clear up the root cause. It is always good to get a second opinion.

Hi Mony96,
The situation is so stressful when trying to figure out how to help them. I just recently had an on again then off again battle with my 6 mo old sable rabbit with this. I went for a vet check up and I would like to relay what I was told and what helped me.
The vet explained how rabbits always have a certain amount of a type of bacteria in their nasal cavity (maybe you know this already). And when the rabbit is under stress of any kind their immune system takes a dive and that bacteria can get out of control and cause runny eye and (in my case) nose crust from little boogies. I am paraphrasing since I can’t remember exactly. Anyways she recommended I look into reducing his stress. I was a bit shocked because I thought everything was fine and he didn’t have stress. I was actually expecting to get meds. But once I looked into it and made some changes he got better. It came back a little only once over a weekend when he didn’t get much company. There is a great article by the BunnyLady on destressing the bunny. I will include a link. However, what worked for us was because in all other aspects he was showing healthy behavior, eating well, running around a bit and inquisitive. He was scratching at his eye and had a crusty nose. I had to open an exercise pen for him, insulate the wall better because we have cool air that travels through near his cage and made a schedule of time for him to have companionship. I’d love to have him out in the house like but I have a dog and two cats. The dog I just don’t trust. Sorry for being so wordy. Here is the address:

https://bunnylady.com/stress-in-rabbits/
It took several days but I started to see improvement a little at a time. I also had a damp wash cloth I gently wiped his eye with once or twice a day and that helped also. :)

I hope all works out!! Keep us updated!!

Last edited:
It looks like your bunny has a severe eye infection that needs to be treated properly.
The vet should have provided some sort of eye wash and medication. Like others said, I would recommend visiting another veterinarian for further assistance.
Do you happen to know what the cause of this infection is (such as hay irritating the eye), or did it come completely out of the blue?

Terramycin is a product that has worked wonders on rabbit eye infections for me in the past. It can be purchased directly on Amazon, here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXX34Z2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_2V4RGW7J3M936HZVHR1H.
For this product, squeeze a rice size amount into the lower lid of the eye 2-4 times per day depending on severity.

Any rabbit safe eye wash will help keep the area clean, and should always be applied before medication. This is a tried and true one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7BTWEN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_ZZJ6C3AVTEAM5BWX7HW5.

It looks like your rabbit most likely has conjunctivitis. It's possible the antibiotic eye drops you were given, aren't proving effective against the bacteria involved. I would ask your vet for a different antibiotic eye drop to try, maybe gentamicin, sulfa, or neo poly eye drops/ointment. Your rabbit should probably also be put on a systemic oral antibiotic like baytril. I would also suggest requesting some meloxicam for pain relief and to reduce inflammation. You will need to keep a close eye on your buns eating. If your bun stops eating or isn't eating much, then you will also need critical care syringe feeding mix from your vet, to start regular syringe feeds throughout the day so your bun doesn't also develop GI stasis from the gut slowing down due to reduced eating.

https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/conjunctivitis-in-young-rabbits/
https://wagwalking.com/rabbit/condition/conjunctivitis
If you can find a more experienced rabbit vet to take your rabbit to, that would be the best thing to do.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

It looks like your bunny has a severe eye infection that needs to be treated properly.
The vet should have provided some sort of eye wash and medication. Like others said, I would recommend visiting another veterinarian for further assistance.
Do you happen to know what the cause of this infection is (such as hay irritating the eye), or did it come completely out of the blue?

Terramycin is a product that has worked wonders on rabbit eye infections for me in the past. It can be purchased directly on Amazon, here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXX34Z2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_2V4RGW7J3M936HZVHR1H.
For this product, squeeze a rice size amount into the lower lid of the eye 2-4 times per day depending on severity.

Any rabbit safe eye wash will help keep the area clean, and should always be applied before medication. This is a tried and true one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7BTWEN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_ZZJ6C3AVTEAM5BWX7HW5.
Thank you so much I will definitely try it. I am scared to put anything to my rabbit but it hurts me to see him like this and no solution to his problem by the vet.

Thank you so much I will definitely try it. I am scared to put anything to my rabbit but it hurts me to see him like this and no solution to his problem by the vet.
The vet should most definitely have a solution / options to treat watery eyes, it's a pretty common ailment.

Thankfully, the provided medication can be purchased and administered without the assistance of a vet - pllease keep us posted how your bunny is!

The vet should most definitely have a solution / options to treat watery eyes, it's a pretty common ailment.

Thankfully, the provided medication can be purchased and administered without the assistance of a vet - pllease keep us posted how your bunny is!
16137671800064388732282307762715.jpg
Will this work too . They are out of stock in Amazon and Chewy they won't sell it in CA

Based on the statement that erythromycin is contraindicated in rabbits, I wouldn't use it. It means that if the rabbit were to ingest any through grooming it off, it could lead to diarrhea and possibly fatal antibiotic induced enterotoxemia.

"Antibiotics contraindicated in rabbits include clindamycin, lincomycin, erythromycin, ampicillin, amoxicillin/clavulanic acid, and cephalosporins."
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exotic-and-laboratory-animals/rabbits/management-of-rabbits
antibiotics dangerous for use in rabbits

update on Chiko
I just notice he has like a line of whiteness inside his eye in the iris. He has it on both eyes. I have never seen this before. What is going on with my rabbit? .
And unfortunately I am one of those single parents Pacheco check to paycheck after my divorce so it has been difficult to take him to the vet lately.
I just don't know what to do . He is eating and drinking water . Pooping normally and peeing.
I just hated seeing him like this. I dont want him to be in pain or loosing his sight.
What is this white lines I see inside his eyes ?

update on Chiko
I just notice he has like a line of whiteness inside his eye in the iris. He has it on both eyes. I have never seen this before. What is going on with my rabbit? .
And unfortunately I am one of those single parents Pacheco check to paycheck after my divorce so it has been difficult to take him to the vet lately.
I just don't know what to do . He is eating and drinking water . Pooping normally and peeing.
I just hated seeing him like this. I dont want him to be in pain or loosing his sight.
What is this white lines I see inside his eyes ?

I usually stay away from antibiotics because it wreaks havoc on their gut biome. I prefer a holistic approach. I seldomly have to do with weepy eyes but this is how i treat it. Get a saline eye wash solution and drop a packet of chamomile tea in it. Wash the eye out 2 times a day at a luke warm. Apply a liberal amount of fluid, you need the antibacterial properties of the chamomile to flow into the tear ducts. Start also feeding your bunny echniacea (cone flower) as this will naturally boost their immune systems. As another member mentioned earlier, this sorts of illnesses appear when the immune system is compromised, normally stress is the culprit.

I usually stay away from antibiotics because it wreaks havoc on their gut biome. I prefer a holistic approach. I seldomly have to do with weepy eyes but this is how i treat it. Get a saline eye wash solution and drop a packet of chamomile tea in it. Wash the eye out 2 times a day at a luke warm. Apply a liberal amount of fluid, you need the antibacterial properties of the chamomile to flow into the tear ducts. Start also feeding your bunny echniacea (cone flower) as this will naturally boost their immune systems. As another member mentioned earlier, this sorts of illnesses appear when the immune system is compromised, normally stress is the culprit.
White inside the eyes like this? Encephalitozoon cuniculi - Wikipedia

I don't understand why he would be stress . He is free to roam around the house. The only change we have made is putting curtains on my daughters canopy bed, so he dosen't jump as frequent as he would like. Ok I will try I been using the chamomile and the code flower . I been using this too to clean his eye . I do it every night . Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210225-143118_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210225-143118_Samsung Internet.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1

Will this work i can't find the exactly ingredient for him .. I

Attachments

• 16143008128836832047427044214211.jpg
    16143008128836832047427044214211.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 3
If you could post a clear close up photo of what you are seeing in the eye, that may give us a better idea of what is going on with your rabbit and what to suggest. If the white spots you are seeing, are the beginnings of cataracts, not much you can do about that anyways.

If you could post a clear close up photo of what you are seeing in the eye, that may give us a better idea of what is going on with your rabbit and what to suggest. If the white spots you are seeing, are the beginnings of cataracts, not much you can do about that anyways.
I will as soon as I get home . So what does that mean . Is he going blind . He is only 4yrs old 😭

Latest posts

Back