Need help making a hard decision

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB Millicent

Reaction score
My 8 year old bun had what we thought was an EC exacerbation 2 weeks ago. He was on Panacur for about 10 days and his hemoglobin dropped to less than half, liver enlarged. We stopped Panacur. For 3 days he’s been on SC Fluids and Critical Care. He smells his food (all kinds of hay to entice him, pellets, bananas) but other than a tiny nibble, won’t eat. Doesn’t seem to be in pain but doesn’t look happy. Urinating, but only tiny, malformed poops.

A few are telling me to euthanize. I learned our 1 vet in town takes buns to the back and dies an intra-cardiac injection. This horrified me and I don’t want to do this.

At what point do I make a decision? And should I drive an hour to a different vet or is this standard euthanasia practice?

I'm very sorry about your bun. It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. If your vet hasn't established that there is permanent liver damage then your bun may just need the proper help and time to recover, or if recovery isn't possible then with the proper help you may be able to at least make your bun comfortable so he's not suffering, so that he could spend his remaining time at home with you. I would look for the best rabbit vet in your area for the second opinion. If you don't have many rabbit vets near you, you may be able to find one within a few hours drive of you. UC Davis is an option if you are at all near there. Or you could also contact a local rabbit rescue and ask for a vet recommendation. I would make sure to bring a copy of any xrays, tests, and medical info you might need for the second opinion.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

If the second vet determines that recovery isn't possible, and that pts is the kindest option because your bun can't be made comfortable in his remaining time, if an IV can't be established for the injection an intracardiac injection is used, but they should first give an inhaled anesthetic before giving the injection. This link briefly explains.
https://www.petplace.com/article/small-mammals/general/euthanasia-of-rabbits/

If there is any chance for your bun to make it, I really hope you are able to find the help that you need.

Am very sorry to hear about your bunny. I live on central coast CA too. Agree that you should get a second opinion. Liver can regenerate in people.so would see if there are ways to keep your bunny comfortable at home and ask whether he may recover with treatment. Agree that there are likely kinder ways to pts too. Dont know which vet you go to. We go to Dr Edsall at Las Tablas Animal Hospital in Templeton because he is the best exotic vet around. We also have been to Dr Conn in Pismo but prefer Dr Edsall. Dr Edsall will try his best to save any critter and when we had to have our elderly guinea pts during surgery, due to inoperable widespread. cancer, he was very kind. Am sorry for your dilemma...it is the sad part of sharing our lives with our beloved pets.

Latest posts

Back