Need help for my bunny.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyBit

Reaction score
My bunny is more than a year old now and o just noticed that there some kind of flaking at the side of his mouth so I brought him to the vet.
And the vet just gave me some vitamins and sorts. I had given him timothy based pellets before it started and was asked to stop feeding it to him and just give him his usual diet which was some whoñe rolled oats, carrots and mostly timothy hay.
But after 2 weeks his chin looks like this already. Can some tell me what stuff should I put on his chin.
I'm crying already I don't know what to do.

Attachments

• IMG_20200808_113134.jpg
    IMG_20200808_113134.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 18
In the photo it looks like your rabbits front teeth don't line up properly and the top teeth and peg teeth are overgrown and too long. It looks like the bottom teeth overlap the top teeth. Normally the top teeth should slightly overlap the bottom teeth so that the front teeth wear down properly against each other and don't overgrow. The loss of fur and skin problem could all be happening because of a dental problem with the misaligned and overgrown front teeth.
Medirabbit (malocclusion in rabbits)
MediRabbit (pictures of normal front teeth and misaligned overgrown incisors)

Has your rabbit been drooling lately or getting a wet chin? Is your rabbit having any difficulty eating, not eating as much as usual, not wanting to eat certain foods, chewing in a strange way, or dropping food from the mouth?

No oats, no carrots! Your bunny needs lots and lots of good quality hay. Please get your bunny to a good rabbit vet for a thorough dental check-up.

In the photo it looks like your rabbits front teeth don't line up properly and the top teeth and peg teeth are overgrown and too long. It looks like the bottom teeth overlap the top teeth. Normally the top teeth should slightly overlap the bottom teeth so that the front teeth wear down properly against each other and don't overgrow. The loss of fur and skin problem could all be happening because of a dental problem with the misaligned and overgrown front teeth.
Medirabbit (malocclusion in rabbits)
MediRabbit (pictures of normal front teeth and misaligned overgrown incisors)

Has your rabbit been drooling lately or getting a wet chin? Is your rabbit having any difficulty eating, not eating as much as usual, not wanting to eat certain foods, chewing in a strange way, or dropping food from the mouth?

I recently got his teeth trimmed but his teeth still over laps. There is no changes on how he eats and He eats alot of hay and he picks the long pieces. He usually drops the carrots and throws it away afterwards.

Also he just recently got better after he got as the vet calls it pressure sore from is old cage. I got him a bigger ones for a large breed dog type.

No oats, no carrots! Your bunny needs lots and lots of good quality hay. Please get your bunny to a good rabbit vet for a thorough dental check-up.
I found a vet clinic near me that has an exotic vet I hope he could help. But sadly we are on lockdown. 😔😔😔

I recently got his teeth trimmed but his teeth still over laps. There is no changes on how he eats and He eats alot of hay and he picks the long pieces. He usually drops the carrots and throws it away afterwards.

Also he just recently got better after he got as the vet calls it pressure sore from is old cage. I got him a bigger ones for a large breed dog type.

I highly doubt it has something to do with the new brand if timothy hay I tried to feed him since my mom and sister had some reactions of it on their skin.

hello! I'm gonna ask a bunch of questions if you don't mind :) One is, san po kayo sa pinas? :)

Which vet did you go to? Was he an exotic vet? What meds did s/he prescribe?

If vet is not an exotic vet, then I'm hoping someone from this list is near you. If not, some of the clinics in the list can offer online consultation via fb :) List of Ethical Rabbit Vets in the Philippines

the fact that you said bunny has a cross bite even after being trimmed, sounds like you bunny has a genetic disorder which is malocclusion :( So it seems like bunny will need at least a monthly vet trip for dental trimming :( Even if he gets unlimited amounts of hay 24/7, it wont be enough to keep them trimmed :(

I work closely with Save Rabbits Ph and Rabbit Awareness Ph, and we've had a few rescues that have these issues. I also noticed that a lot of people have been posting dental issues in local rabbit groups recently. Sadly its a common issue for bunnies now because a lot of people just wants to breed and breed to make money without the regards of the welfare of the rabbit :(

hello! I'm gonna ask a bunch of questions if you don't mind :) One is, san po kayo sa pinas? :)

Which vet did you go to? Was he an exotic vet? What meds did s/he prescribe?

If vet is not an exotic vet, then I'm hoping someone from this list is near you. If not, some of the clinics in the list can offer online consultation via fb :) List of Ethical Rabbit Vets in the Philippines

the fact that you said bunny has a cross bite even after being trimmed, sounds like you bunny has a genetic disorder which is malocclusion :( So it seems like bunny will need at least a monthly vet trip for dental trimming :( Even if he gets unlimited amounts of hay 24/7, it wont be enough to keep them trimmed :(

I work closely with Save Rabbits Ph and Rabbit Awareness Ph, and we've had a few rescues that have these issues. I also noticed that a lot of people have been posting dental issues in local rabbit groups recently. Sadly its a common issue for bunnies now because a lot of people just wants to breed and breed to make money without the regards of the welfare of the rabbit :(

I went to 911 pet clinic (before I went there I contacted them if they cater to rabbits and they said yes) and the vet only gave me a vitamins which was coatshine and I was told not to put any ointment under his chin. I am gonna try visiting Petlink since they said they have an exotic vet.

I checked the list you gave but they are quite far from my place atleast an hour of commute. 😔😔😔

I was about to go to a clinic that can do the trimming for the second time but the day before his lower tooth came off just living the roots of the teeth.(was it normal? It happened twice before we went to the clinic) I found the teeth in his litter tray.

Where is 911 clinic? I dont think Coatshine is vitamins and bunnies don't need vitamins as they can produce their own VitaminC, too much vit C could cause complications :(

Where is Petlink? Who's their exotic vet? and where are you from exactly? 😅 I traveled from las pinas to mandaluyong one new years eve just so my bunny can get subcu fluids 'cause she was going though stasis

I was about to go to a clinic that can do the trimming for the second time but the day before his lower tooth came off just living the roots of the teeth.(was it normal? It happened twice before we went to the clinic) I found the teeth in his litter tray.

that doesn't seem normal. I think it would be best to go to doc donato or doc lester at least so that your bunny can be given the correct medication already :)

They do have online consultation right ? I would love to go there personally but we don't have any mode of transporation as of this moment.

Petklink has a clinic in caloocan , navotas and malabon. The nearest one is in caloocan and I think the doctor's name was Doc Robles not sure since I am yet to get a response from them.

They do have online consultation right ? I would love to go there personally but we don't have any mode of transporation as of this moment.

Petklink has a clinic in caloocan , navotas and malabon. The nearest one is in caloocan and I think the doctor's name was Doc Robles not sure since I am yet to get a response from them.
You will have to find a way to get your bunny examined properly, can't be done online. Also it is likely that teeth need to be burred.

oh perfect! Manila East Veterinary Care is near south caloocan, you can look for doc lester =) their clinic details are in the link I gave you =)

Latest posts

Back