need help finding an affordable+nice looking rug!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odyssey~

Reaction score
hello~

i'm redoing my rabbit's pen flooring since she's rather destructive with her current one.
she has a sheet over puzzle mats, and digs at the sheet to get to the puzzle mat and eat it. don't know why she does it, but it's mainly under her hidey house so I'm assuming it has to do with burrowing down to sleep?
i've tried binder clipping the sheet to the NIC grids but it doesn't work.

tldr
can anyone help me find a rug (5' by 3' ideal) that will work even for destructive buns?

I have the same issue!

Some people suggested to tape the side with clear packaging tape but I don't think the one I have is good 'cause it can easily get out. Maybe it would work for you? :)

Clear packaging tape was an instant failiure with my digger boy. He would pay it no heed and dig away. Glad that he didn't try to eat it.

I would recommend a "base layer", and then add fleece blankets or something to corners that may be tempting to dig. That has worked for my rabbits.

Unsure if you were binder clipping to fasten the sheet onto the puzzle pieces, but if it's for digging engagement, I would opt for fleece blankets or something more robust. I just manually tie fleece blankets to one of my rabbit's dig corners. It's about 5 tied in the same corner, haha.

They sometimes sell low-ply carpet squares you can cut and place easily. they usually come with stick or rubber backing so they do not stick.

oh these look nice thanks! since they're jute it should be ok for her to chew too tysm!

i've been binder clipping fleece/sheets to the puzzle mats but she can still take it off and eat at the mat. i will try to look for carpet squares thanks!
With my rabbits, I have found that it either needs to be 100% secure attachment or 100% loose so they can dig at it freely. When something is not well-secured, it becomes very tempting to continuously try and rip it off, haha.

Their are quite a few stylish and high quality yet inexpensive rugs on wayfair that came in all sizes!!!

Definitely check their!!!

I've settled on this flatwoven rug TIPHEDE Rug, flatwoven, natural/black, 3'11"x5'11" (120x180 cm) - IKEA
and I'm going to probably put ceramic tiles in each corner so she won't dig it up. not sure if I can still use puzzle mats with this but I'll see.

opinions?
You could probably layer the foamies down and the rug on top so it would have some bounce. I don't know if ceramic tiles are enough to keep the carpet down for digging resistance though.

I'll actually have to try it out tonight- Iris is insisting on digging the carpet away from her enclosure, maybe relocating the ceramic will help.

You could probably layer the foamies down and the rug on top so it would have some bounce. I don't know if ceramic tiles are enough to keep the carpet down for digging resistance though.

I'll actually have to try it out tonight- Iris is insisting on digging the carpet away from her enclosure, maybe relocating the ceramic will help.
It's been working for me so far- I just put one down in the corner where she digs most and she dug for a bit and then gave up! she'll probably find a way around it soon enough though....haha
thanks tho!
I absolutely love this rug for my buns! It is pretty heavy so they can't move it around and it is machine washable.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/toerslev-rug-flatwoven-stripe-white-black-80418711/
I was actually looking at this one too, but it's $30 on the canadian site and this one is too small for what I wanted unfortunately :( I'm not willing to pay that much for something that may not work since theres the cheaper option. Thanks anyway!

I get mine from a local big-box store when they're on sale.

Note the *type* of rug matters: some are formed with little loops that buns can absolutey destroy in no time flat. Don't get these.

I've found the best rugs are short single-strand (non-loop-strand) rugs with rubber backing.

They sell some good ones at home depot/ lowes for $30. (mentioned on autumn grace's youtube channel)
Or you can go to dollar tree and find some really good small rugs and ducktape them on the bottom (so your rabbit cant get to it)

hello~

i'm redoing my rabbit's pen flooring since she's rather destructive with her current one.
she has a sheet over puzzle mats, and digs at the sheet to get to the puzzle mat and eat it. don't know why she does it, but it's mainly under her hidey house so I'm assuming it has to do with burrowing down to sleep?
i've tried binder clipping the sheet to the NIC grids but it doesn't work.

tldr
can anyone help me find a rug (5' by 3' ideal) that will work even for destructive buns?
i often order free carpet samples online and you can sew them together but my rabbit loves to flip them up and down in his pen. i buy them from lots of different websites and bevause he is an indoor rabbit, i get him some artificial grass samples and he loves lying on them. :D 😄

Hello! I too, used to want my bunnies to have nice soft flooring for their cute furry feet. I had low pile carpet for a short while but found that that really isn’t what they want. While we humans sometimes think we know what our little friends want, they have other things in mind.
I started looking into what long time rabbit owners have done and went from there. What I have found that my buns really like is a nice smooth floor that they can flop on, slide things around on, but something that can withstand the digging. I can’t stress this enough….buy a sheet of cheap linoleum from Lowes or Home Depot. You can cut this to the size you want and it is so easy to clean. Make sure you leave overhang because if they can get to an edge THEY WILL CHEW IT! Once you have the linoleum cut to the size you need, lay down an old or cheap blanket then place the linoleum on top of that. You can then build your playpen. My buns LOVE cold tile so I have four 12x12 squares of tile in a row laying on top of the linoleum on one side of the enclosure. They lay on the tile after exercise to cool down. Since they love to dig, I take pieces of fleece and affix them to one corner and they dig and dig at it trying to get it to move. I also, place pieces of fleece through out their enclosure so they can push it around and put it where they want it. You could also, put a rug or doormat style rug in but I will tell you that my buns just tear them up and never sleep or lay on them. Not to mention that carpet fibers can be ingested and if enough, could cause a blockage. This set up has been great for the buns and it’s so much easier for me to clean up.
My advice to you is to listen to the long time rabbit owners on the forum. They have the experience and know what these little fur babies like. They have been a tremendous help for me!
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back