Need help finding a hidey house!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BB03

Reaction score
So, I’m getting paid soon and I really want to get my bunnies a hidey house. I’ve seen some on Etsy and they’re adorable, but the only problem is I have a bunny who is 11 pounds!! My other bunny who is 5 pounds would be able to fit perfectly.. but I don’t want to spend a lot of money on one if only one bunny can use it.. so if you know any hidey houses that will fit a bunny who is 11 pounds please let me know…. They free roam in my bedroom and I just want to add some fun stuff that they’ll like! So if you have any other suggestions please tell me and add links. I want to make my room fun for them because they always look bored.

Ah, the big-bum-bunny problems. I feel you. I struggle with finding affordable/durable hideys for my 5.5kg bun too. He won't fit into places my 3.6kg girl can fit.
The stores seem to never carry stuff purposefully made for the big guys, so we often have to repurpose something else to fit those needs.
I found that most often, huge plastic bins with a side or two cut off work quite good as both hiding in and hopping on. I have a 60*40cm bin that stores some of my fabrics and my big boy loves to hop and scope on it. I secured a piece of cotton fabric with the lid so that it'd have better grip on it.
We also had an old laundry basket (roughly 50*50cm square of 80cm length) lying around-opened up the bottom and the sides, pushed the lid against the wall and done-its wooden frame is sturdy enough that i could attach a thin layer of plywood and a small ramp leading up to it. Thus, it's both a hidey and a lookey. One of the few things that still stands without being destroyed.
On a similar note to diy-ing, perhaps you can find some sheets of plywood, nails/hammer or screws/screwdriver and assemble your very own hidey rectangle to the size you need.
If your buns don't care much about eating cardboard, i've seen that huge boxes of those work excellent, are relatively cheap or even free, easy to work with and recycle if meddled with beyond repair.

Ah, the big-bum-bunny problems. I feel you. I struggle with finding affordable/durable hideys for my 5.5kg bun too. He won't fit into places my 3.6kg girl can fit.
The stores seem to never carry stuff purposefully made for the big guys, so we often have to repurpose something else to fit those needs.
I found that most often, huge plastic bins with a side or two cut off work quite good as both hiding in and hopping on. I have a 60*40cm bin that stores some of my fabrics and my big boy loves to hop and scope on it. I secured a piece of cotton fabric with the lid so that it'd have better grip on it.
We also had an old laundry basket (roughly 50*50cm square of 80cm length) lying around-opened up the bottom and the sides, pushed the lid against the wall and done-its wooden frame is sturdy enough that i could attach a thin layer of plywood and a small ramp leading up to it. Thus, it's both a hidey and a lookey. One of the few things that still stands without being destroyed.
On a similar note to diy-ing, perhaps you can find some sheets of plywood, nails/hammer or screws/screwdriver and assemble your very own hidey rectangle to the size you need.
If your buns don't care much about eating cardboard, i've seen that huge boxes of those work excellent, are relatively cheap or even free, easy to work with and recycle if meddled with beyond repair.
Thank you so much! These are such great ideas. I’ve been thinking about making one out of wood since my dad has the tools for it, but I just haven’t had enough time. But I will definitely look into that! I would use cardboard but my bunnies are OBSESSED with cardboard and chew it up quickly.

Thank you so much! These are such great ideas. I’ve been thinking about making one out of wood since my dad has the tools for it, but I just haven’t had enough time. But I will definitely look into that! I would use cardboard but my bunnies are OBSESSED with cardboard and chew it up quickly.
Good luck!

I cannot give anything even remotely related to cardboard to mine- they'll just eat it as if it were hay or a twig from the tree. Even heavy-duty cardboard once used for floors was wrecked. That's why i opted for the bins as a more chew-proof option.
Another option would be to hand-weave baskets, tunnels and mats from hay or willow/birch/whatever safe tree shoots. I found that the stores' "large" woven willow ways only barely fit my medium bun, so i decided to make my own bigger and longer one. We have our land where willow shoots grow, so i don't have to worry about chemicals and such, though i did have to worry about buns trying to dismantle my creation befire it was done :) This elliptical thing happened to become a ø60cm tube that could fit my boy in it even in a flop.
Weaving with hay could be something a bit trickier, dry hay is better for braids and stuff that could be tossed and just chewed at, at least it costs nothing extra. Fresh grass, especially the long leaves and stems, is much easier to weave into mats which can be bent into a tube or assembled otherwise.
You might also find that some cat tunnels are big enough, though i've not checked for myself.

Our buns have cardboard box hidey holes, something that won't break our budget.

Long ago I started layering the cardboard to extra thicknesses using cheap white glue. That way they stand up to bunny chewing a bit longer; but, since they didn't cost us a dime we don't mind the bunstruction. :)

We use a large cardboard box with 4 more inside in 2 tiers with holes cut between boxes with one thru the ceiling of the first level to the second level and a hole so they can get up thru the second level and hang out on top. Used to be a "Cardboard Castles" in one of the discussion headings with pics. It's a cheap way to go and gives them something to dig and chew--can be replaced cheaply, as needed. The produce people at all the grocery stores we go to know all about our rabbits and save boxes with tops for us--usually apple boxes. Our boy Nicky will spend hours digging, chewing, and the resting on top all splayed out--he's a fun little bunny. Our big girl, Serena, a 20 pound Checkered Giant loved the Castles and could fit thru passage ways that I thought were way too small for her--guess I should stop trying to think--with bunnies if there's a will they will find a way.

Like Nancy mentioned, our cardboard hidey holes keep our buns entertained for hours on end, day after day. None of their toys will do that.
Sure, the cardboard is soon reduced to shreds, but who cares as long as it keeps them occupied and satisfied?

Ikea Hols are huge in Europe & Scandinavia. I imported a couple and my rabbits love them.

I see a couple US sellers (that I've never heard of) in the Google search shopping link for a really cheap price & free shipping.

Latest posts

Back