Need an opinion on teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
Penny is eating just fine as usual but I always knew her teeth didn't quite meet up. Here's how they look now. Does it look alright to you or should I be expecting her to have problems down the road?

Thanks!
IMG_0445.jpg

Closeup:
IMG_0446.jpg

They actually look too long;I would take her in and have the vet file them down and then provide her with anything that you can that she canknaw/chew on

Bernie the baby chinchilla rabbit thatI got last summer had this problem and I found a wooden box (unfinished wood) that I placed in his area; he started to knaw on that box and has kept his own incisors down.
His incisors actually self corrected

Can you tell if she is actually using those teeth?

You need to watch it so that the teeth do not actually grow into tissue

Rabbits generally pick up food with incisors and move it back to chew with the molars.

I don't know if she actually eats with the incisors, like you said it looks like she picks food up with them. But she eats like a maniac and has the most healthy looking poop of all my rabbits because of her hay intake. I will look to get her an appt with our vet to see what we can do about this. The bottom teeth looked a bit longer to me than the last time I took a real close look at her, that's why I was concerned and snapped a photo.

Thanks!

I only got her in April, so next April :( I find myself flip flopping about taking her to the vet because she seriously eats a lot of hay and sh loves food. I think if her teeth were a problem, even a little bit, I'd notice pretty much immediately. I'm watching her very closely these days. Will probably do weekly teeth checks to make sure she's not progressing badly.

My only concern is that maybe the front teeth are causing the jaw to be too far open, so she might drool or be more prone to getting spurs or overgrowth of the back molars because they couldn't be in contact as much as they're supposed to. If you don't see that happening, then it's probably nothing to bother about.

Latest posts

Back