Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutebuns

Reaction score
Hello, I recently found out that one of my 4 rabbits was actually a boy instead of what we thought was a girl. 2 of the rabbits are girls and 1 fixed boy. Everyone told and agreed that he was a girl. Anyways so we found out that he was a boy and we think that at least 1 of our 2 female rabbits could be pregnant. 4 days ago tomorrow I found a lot of fur, hay, straw, pieces of plastic, ect. In a box inside their cage. I am pretty sure that it was a nest. Even though I am not sure. It is very possible that they could be pregnant because the boy and girls have been together for he past months. I have tried to palpate the females but I was not good enough to tell. Right now I have the males together in a seperate cage just in case for babies. Any advice or reassurance would be extremely appreciated. Also one of he females had had kits before and is sort of experienced. The other is not. Anyways please help!
-thanks

Also, now that we know it’s a boy we actually want them to have babies. I am not sure if she is just overdue or just not pregnant. Her and the male rabbit were very close and the always licked, snuggled and followed each other everywhere. Now she had built what I think is a nest. If you have any advice or any things that would help me that would be very appreciated!

There's only one way to tell for sure if she is pregnant, if there aren't any kits a month after the buck got separated she wasn't pregnant.
How old are the rabbits? Depending on size, breed, genetics they can start breeding at about 2 1/2-3 months, my 10lbs meat mutts would start around 4months.

Building a nest can mean she's kindling soon, or in one or two weeks ( - hard to tell, especially with first timers, mine start nest building about half a day before they kindle, pulling fur just in time, but that varies) or not at all if it was a false pregnancy, but with a buck around I would guess chances are high that she's pregnant.

Give her a proper nest box, there are different designs and preferences, I prefer closed ones (lenght of the stretched out doe, half as wide and high, with one entrance at one end/side about 3-4" from the bottom, ramp on the outside), since I keep my does in pairs and they don't use those as toilett, wich could be a problem when the nest is just hay in a corner of the cage.

Meanwhile, it would be a good idea to start putting a plan together for what to do with the babies.

Than
There's only one way to tell for sure if she is pregnant, if there aren't any kits a month after the buck got separated she wasn't pregnant.
How old are the rabbits? Depending on size, breed, genetics they can start breeding at about 2 1/2-3 months, my 10lbs meat mutts would start around 4months.

Building a nest can mean she's kindling soon, or in one or two weeks ( - hard to tell, especially with first timers, mine start nest building about half a day before they kindle, pulling fur just in time, but that varies) or not at all if it was a false pregnancy, but with a buck around I would guess chances are high that she's pregnant.

Give her a proper nest box, there are different designs and preferences, I prefer closed ones (lenght of the stretched out doe, half as wide and high, with one entrance at one end/side about 3-4" from the bottom, ramp on the outside), since I keep my does in pairs and they don't use those as toilett, wich could be a problem when the nest is just hay in a corner of the cage.

Meanwhile, it would be a good idea to start putting a plan together for what to do with the babies.
Thanks so much for the advice. My 2 females are around 2 years old and just barely a year old. The 2 year old who I think is more likely to be pregnant just because she had a relationship with the male has had babies before. If I put a nest box in would I put it where she already built the nest? Also with the babies I plan on keeping them all because I have everything that I would need to keep them. There are also a lot of people who I have told about it and asked if they could have one if she does have babies. I also plan on bringing everyone to the vet to be fixed. Or at least all the females or all the males so that there is no more babies. All my rabbits are bonded together all 4 of them and when we got the new one that we thought was a girl they accepted him the first day that we sort of introduced them.

Latest posts

Back