Need advice!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am struggling with whether to get out of doing Himalayans. I got a pair in March of last year. The buck is registered, GC'd with 6 legs. I don't know if the youth who had him used him for breeding but since he was 2 years old at the time, I assume so. The doe I got was young and unproven.

I've tried to breed her a number of times and so far I've only had one litterthat has lived. The first attempt didn't take, the second was an accident and she had 5 which were dead or died shortly after (because ofheat), third time she had 6 and all but twohadvariousissues (GI problems, sore hocks, one with a white nail). Only two have made it to7 months old with no problems. Anyway, the fourth attempt she had two at 35 days, both dead, and I believe it was because one was stuck in the birth canal (judging by how one kit looked). This last attempt she had 5, butit suddenlyturned hot weather justbefore kindling. I kept afan on her, but three were dead when I found them and the other two died within a few days.

I'm really bummed on Himmies right now. The doe was a good Mom to the litter that lived butshe seems to be easily stressed around kindling time. I could tell that some of the kits born when it was hothad been stepped on duringbirthing.

I need some advice on what to do. Maybe mine are an exception, but I didn't think Himalayans would be sodifficult. :(Anyone else have experience with this breed? What to do? I even thought about breeding one of the young does to her father...but I'm not sure if I should, given the problems her littermates had. Any suggestions?

Actually, it doesn't have to be a question concerning this specific breed. If you had a doe with similar experiences what would you do? I've hesitated using her daughter in case genetics played any part in the problems the one 'successful' litter had.

I know nothing about the breed so I can't help there but I can tell you what I would do.

I would pet out the mama and try again with the younger doe. Yes - she has her mom's genetics - but only HALF of her is from mama. The other half is from dad.

You might wind up with a much better experience.

Whatever you decide - good luck!

The mom is a sweet doe soshe'd make a good pet. One of her daughters is black and one is blue. I'm thinking I should use the black one since the buck is blue. I've heard that dilutes (especially blues) of any breed are more prone to mismatched nails if you don't keep infusing black in the line.

If this doesn't work then I think I'll switch to another breed rather than find another doe. Thanks for your input!

I agree with Tiny's mom... except a lot of those issues have been your fault as well. I lost babies in may from the heat, I quickly learned my lesson. If she is having them, let her have them then bring that nest box in the house, or somewhere where it is cooler, but not so cold they wont adjust when going back outside. I take mine out to eat every morning. Watch the mommas feed them, and then take them back.

Don't give up on himmies after trouble with ONE doe.

Well you've certainly given her a LOT of chances and with such a low success rate, I would pet her out. Sometimes does are just flat-out not good Moms. We had a rabbit like that and tried for a year, but eventually had to pet her out, too. Some have it, some don't.
Keep the black daughter and try with her; don't give up on Himmies yet if you really like them!

GorbyJobRabbits wrote:
I agree with Tiny's mom... except a lot of those issues have been your fault as well. I lost babies in may from the heat, I quickly learned my lesson. If she is having them, let her have them then bring that nest box in the house, or somewhere where it is cooler, but not so cold they wont adjust when going back outside. I take mine out to eat every morning. Watch the mommas feed them, and then take them back.

Don't give up on himmies after trouble with ONE doe.
I do take the blame for the 2nd litter of 5 that died. This last litter, though, I didn't expect the weather to turn hot just a few days before thedue date. I debated whether to bring her inside, but decided it was too risky making the change that late. After she had them I brought the two survivors inside, nestbox and all, and then took them out in the evening. Anyway, they both died because she didn't feed them. I held her and they got some. I even tried getting them to nurse off another doe, but without full bellies they got too weak to nurse.

Brittany85 wrote:
Where are you located? If the weather is so hot that babies die from this reason alone perhaps they shouldn't be outside? This wouldn't be the doe's fault.

The Texas Gulf Coast has rather unpredictable weather. When we bred her we didn't expect temps to go from the 70s-80's up to the 90's just before her due date in mid-May. Around here breeders don't breed in the summer months because the kits won't survive the heat (unless you're lucky enough to have a climate controlled barn).

Anyway, I'm thinking when the weather cools again I'll try using the black daughter and see how it goes. I like the Himalayan temperament and love their markings!

I revived this post to provide an update. I bred the black daughter to her blue dad and she had 4 kits. One was larger than the others and was dead. For 2 weeks the otherthreekits seemed to be doing well andI could tell that mom was feeding them. Suddenly, in the last two days I've lost two of the kits.I'll try to attach photos of the lone survivor and the two that died. Before each died I foundthem outside the nestbox...they weren'tas active as I would expect...and though not as rotund as the survivor, they certainly weren'tthin.

I hope the last kit makes it but, regardless, I've decided toget out of Himalayans. Whatever was wrong with the litters from my original doe evidently have been passed on throughher daughter.I've heard about'wasting syndrome' and 'failure to thrive' that will hit litters.My original doe's litters didn't have problems untilafter they were weaned, butthe two little guys from this litter were only 2 weeks old...:(.

14192_201133_190000000.jpg

This is my survivor...he is a butterball!

14192_201138_560000000.jpg

Certainly nota butterball, but he was not thin...the pic may be a little deceiving. He didn'tpass becausemom was notnursing. So depressing when you can't find a reason why!

Latest posts

Back