Need advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
This may be a long post, so please bear with me. Also, I haven’t been around much in a while, due to RL and we just bought a house and all that fun stuff. Some of you may remember me though, from way back when.

Ok, so I need some advice on what to do. The time has unfortunately come for us to have our beloved Chompers put to sleep. :( As you all can understand, we’re having a difficult time with this and it took some time to get used to the idea before we even set up the appointment. It’s next Tuesday, August 19 at noon.

He’s old, close to ten I think and his health is failing rapidly. He’s blind in one eye now, he’s lost an alarming amount of weight in a short amount of time (he’s skin and bones now) and has stopped grooming himself. The latest is that he’s starting to lose fur on one of his ears. We can’t let him suffer anymore and as much as had hoped he’d cross the Bridge naturally himself, he hadn’t and we feel it’s time to help him along.

Some history for those who don’t know me. Chompers was my first rabbit, a rescue my mom wrangled me into taking. I had had no plans on getting a rabbit at all, but she kept at me for weeks and I relented. At first I was only going to foster him in my heated garage…but when he literally jumped out of that too small cage that was covered in poop with no food, hay or water and into my arms…I was in love. By the time I got home I knew he was mine for good. This was many years ago now, before I even moved up to Canada even. I’ve never known his exact age, we guesstimate he’s between 9-10 though.

As you can see in my avatar, we have two others and all three are deeply bonded. Chompers is the lop, Abby the black and Valuran the gray Mini-Rex. They all share a large cage we built ourselves and we’re very worried about Abby and Valuran when Chompers is gone. What should we expect? What can we do for them? I’m thinking they’ll go through a grieving/depression stage, seeing they are all so close.

Also, we’ve been planning on getting a new hutch for them http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751752 before we move in October to our new house. My friend thinks we should put Abby and Valuran into the new hutch the same day as Chompers is put to sleep, but I’m not sure that’s a good plan. She thinks that instead of them going through one stressful event (the loss of their bondmate), getting over that, and then a new hutch followed by a move may be too much for their stress levels. She’s pretty much one bird with two stones attitude and get it over all at once.

What do you all think? We’ve been planning on downsizing the cage for a bit, as the one we have is huge (I’m talking almost 4’x4’ in our living room lol). We just don’t want to totally stress out Abby and Valuran any more than we need to.

If it's possible, I would suggest bringing Chompers body home so that Abby and Valuran can say goodbye to their friend.

I'm so sorry that you've had to make this difficult decision. Love is difficult sometimes. :hug:

Is Chompers still eating? I have a blind & deaf foster bunny who feels like he is skin and bones, but he weights a normal 3lbs 14oz for a Holland Lop.

My foster, Benson, doesn't do much but sleep and eat...he hardly grooms himself. I do feel though, that if they are eating and still enjoying play time...they aren't ready to leave.

You do know Chompers more than the rest of us, so if you feel he has no life left in him, then maybe it is time.

Sorry you are going through this :hug:.

He does still eat, but no longer any hay and he probably only weighs about a pound now. It's become drastic in a short amount of time basically, the weight loss. He no longer grooms, no longer wants to come out, doesn't play, doesn't move much...it's just time. :(

What do you guys suggest about the cage switch?

Hi Stephanie - nice to see you again, but not under such sad circumstances :(. I have always loved your 3 buns, and Chompers especially. I am so sorry that you are going through this.

I know when I lost Perry, Pernod grieved for a long time. She knew he was gone, as we let her say 'Goodbye' but she missed him so much. I think that even though Abby and Valuran have each other, and that will help, they will definately miss Chompers. Just watch for their eating/pooping habits to make sure there is no significant change.

I can see your friends point about doing everything all at once, but I would be concerned that seeing Chompers in the new hutch, they may come to associate that hutch with Chompers being gone. Personally, I would let them say their goodbyes in the surroundings they are used to, then a few days later introduce them to a new hutch. You still have several weeks to get them used to it before they move.

Please, give Chompers a kiss from me. I remember such good stories about him. Good luck with everything, and don't be a stranger :hug:

Jan

Latest posts

Back