Need Advice on Bonding 2 male bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kizza

Reaction score
Ok so, I know I have said this before but I REALLY want a second bunny so that Rockt has a partner in crime.

In the paper I saw a 1 year old dwarf bunny for sale as the lady cant look after hm any more. The little guy has a good diet and runs around the lady's house all day, just like Rocky, but he isn't desexed.

If I was going to adopt this bunny (Hagrid) I would take Rocky to the lady's house to see how they go with each other. If all goes well I will take the bunny home and house him separately until he gets used to my place and I will also have him desexed.

After he gets the snip though, will his personality change? I am just worried about bringing him home and he doesn't get along with Rocky.

Does anyone have some experience with male bonded bunnies? Is it harder than bonding a male and a female? Any Tips?

Thanks a bunch in advance :)

The worst scenario is the two males will not get along together, and you will have to keep them separated at all times. Neutered or not, they can still fight and hurt each other if they don't like the other.

When you go for the 'meet and greet', any signs of aggression (real biting and fighting), I would not chance for the possibility the two will bound.

Is your rabbit not neutered either? My understanding of rabbits, particularly male rabbits, is that its really challenging to convince two un-neutered males to get along. If I had to guess I would say its very likely they will fight from the get go. I'm not saying its impossible, but its just not really the convention when it comes to bonding rabbits. Its hard to know how they will behave after they are both neutered.

To be honest, if it were me, I strongly considered getting your rabbit neutered (if he isnt already) and then going to a shelter and looking at female rabbits, or other neutered males. If you work with a shelter they will be able to find a rabbit that is compatible with yours. My shelter even has a policy that you can bring rabbits back if they absolutely refuse to get along and pick a better match. If you take this rabbit home they may never get along, and you will have to commit to keeping him anyway. If thats okay with you you should totally go for it.

Rocky is neutered, the other bunny I was looking at isn't.

I had the day off work and pretty much just looked into getting another bunny all day and I have decided I will wait and take Rocky on some dates with some neutered girls at a shelter to see if he can find a buddy :)

I have been debating getting another bunny for so long I will think it through a bit more until I am absolutely sure. I just don;t want Rocky to be so bored when I am not here I think it would be good for him

Latest posts

Back