Need advice! Bunny keeps peeing outside of litter box?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reh

Reaction score
Hi! my bunny has recently (last two months or so) has been peeing in his litter box but also in the opposite corner of his hutch for some reason. I’ve tried most things to stop it from happening. Eg. Cleaning it with vinegar. I don’t know why this is happening. Sometimes he won’t pee in his litter tray and will only pee in that other corner. Is there anything I can do? Changing bedding daily is annoying and not to mention he ends up stepping in it

Additional info:
Bunny is a male about 14 months old, he free roams from 9am to 5-6pm with no problems. He has access to the yard and spends most of his time there instead of inside. I haven’t noticed any other issues.

He’s not but to be honest I have never had this issue before? He’s the only animal in the house and has never marked territory anywhere else in that way. Why in that same exact spot everyday? It’s so bizarre 😂😂😂

well some bunnies hit puberty at different times! depending on the breed of course. At the moment you can put a litterbox in that spot.

Have you tried moving the litter box to that spot? Most rabbits can be very particular about where they want to pee, and you basically have to put their litter box in the spot they've decided on. Is the rest of the hutch floor covered with bedding?

Have you tried moving the litter box to that spot? Most rabbits can be very particular about where they want to pee, and you basically have to put their litter box in the spot they've decided on. Is the rest of the hutch floor covered with bedding?

i have placed a second one there for now, but I technically can’t make that the permanent spot because it’s right at the entrance of the hutch and I have nowhere to hook the hay feeder too

My bunny did the exact same thing at that age! I ended up putting a second (corner) litter box in her cage for a while -- it was crowded (see pic) but after a while I was able to reorganize the space again.

I should add that at this point she free ranges in the living room 24/7 so how the cage is set up is less of an issue. On a less optimistic note, she still pees in her cage outside the litter box about once a week. Definitely annoying.

PXL_20210505_174453950.jpg

He’s not but to be honest I have never had this issue before? He’s the only animal in the house and has never marked territory anywhere else in that way. Why in that same exact spot everyday? It’s so bizarre 😂😂😂
Rabbits actually do have incredible memory, maybe your rabbit just likes that specific spot. I would recommend getting him another littter box in that corner, or moving your current one.

Yes you’d definitely need to get him fixed, if not he is almost Granteed to make territory marks. He also has a 60% chance of getting cancer

Latest posts

Back