Need advice. Bonded bunny lost her friend

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freshsnow8

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Yesterday we had to make the tough decision to put down our bunny due to declining health. He had been drooling and we learned it was a dental issue so got medication for it. Though he lost weight and muscle mass pretty quickly and was not getting better.

Before we had to make the call yesterday, we found him limp, laying on his side struggling to get up. His mate was sitting right beside him while we tended to him. We eventually ended up taking him to the vet to see if anything could be done but with no resolve. We left his mate at home. It wasn’t until after we left the vet that evening that I had read about letting the surviving rabbit have time with the body to process.

I want to try calling the vet on the off chance his body may still be there to give the surviving mate time with the body, but honestly it’s hard to think about doing that as we are deeply deeply devastated and I don’t think my partner is comfortable with the idea of bringing his body back home in the aftermath.
I guess in my own grieving process I’m trying to seek reassurance that since our surviving bunny spent time with him while he was weak and unresponsive that hopefully she understands his absence. I’m just so heartbroken over this and feel that we took him away so soon from her. She’s been eating and grooming herself, though she is hopping around looking for him and hanging out in his usual spot waiting.

Thank you for reading

I don’t have experience with this situation, but I’m sure you will receive the help you need here. I just want to say I’m so so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you guys and your bunny girl. Binky free little man ♥️

I don’t have experience with this situation, but I’m sure you will receive the help you need here. I just want to say I’m so so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you guys and your bunny girl. Binky free little man ♥
thank you for your words. he was a rambunctious little guy, i’m sure he’s exploring and scavenging for snacks in the beyond now

I'm sorry for your loss! That is so difficult to go through!

Give the bunny his favorite blanket or stuffed animal. His smell will be on it so she will be able to mourn him.

I'm sorry for your loss! That is so difficult to go through!

Give the bunny his favorite blanket or stuffed animal. His smell will be on it so she will be able to mourn him.
I’m so glad you said this, thank you, because we ended up leaving the pillow we set him on when he was struggling and left the carrier he would hide in while she hopped around searching for him. I hope it helped her.
We learned earlier today through Wyze recorded events of motion detection of when our bunny collapsed and struggled to get up due to frailness. His friend was in the enclosure with him for about 2 hours until we found him in that state. Hoping she was able to mourn and grieve through all of this

Sorry for your loss. If I were you I would probably stay with the other bunny more for a while and monitor it.

I recently had the same experience. I spent much more time with the surviving bunny. She was very sad and lonely. I found a new friend for her shortly after her mate died. She is thriving again.

Latest posts

Back