natural corn husk mats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwarf_Angel04

Reaction score
I'm making a "play pen" for current and futurelitters. At Wal-Mart they have playpens that you can fold right up. Ican't think of the name for them but they are built for gunieapigs/rabbits. However, I've got hardwood floors so I have to findsomething that I can stick on the floor and put the 'pen' ontop.

Now for my question.. :)
Wheredo you get natural corn husk mats? How are they onabsorbing urine etc.? I need to find something that if the kits chewit, it won't hurt them, and if they urine or feece (which they WILLdo!) it won't damage the 'temp flooring' (whatever I decide on)

Here's a picture of the playpen. Its big enough for kitstorun around and ramp, of course withsupervision.Its alsoeasily todisassembleand store.

~*~Amanda~*~

Is a maize mat the same thing as a corn husk mat? haha I'm not sure, but I know maize means corn.

I have a maize mat and I gotta admit that when it gets messy it's hardto clean. I like to use a seagrass mat for flooring becauseit is easier to wipe off and when I need to clean it with water Ihaven't had a problem.

I'm not sure where to get them though I ordered mine online. :?

I'm sure someone else will be able to help you out more ;)

-Jenn

I have maize/cornmats in Sebastian's cage. You can probably see them in one of my latestposts in the cages only thread. I got them at Pier One. They were veryinexpensive and were sold like carpeting. The salesperson told me it isvery popular for "relaxing" type decorating and such...it is sold bythe roll or square foot. I also have sea grass mats that I got fromHome Depot. I have bought them elsewhere but don't care for them nearlyas much as the ones from Home Depot.

If you are going to use them in the playpen, I would suggest you line it with chloroplast or heavy cardboardfirst. The poos and urine will go right through the maize and seagrassonto your floor.

Raspberry

Rasberry is right ;) I forgotto mention Wrigley seems to know he is not supposed to pee on his matand he never has so all I really have to do is shake off thepoos :D

Thanks a bunch Raspberry!

I live in a'hickville'LOL! Not really but not in a city.:?I'm searching for a Pier One and Home Depo right now.

Now were would I find chloroplast?

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
I have maize/corn mats inSebastian's cage. You can probably see them in one of my latest postsin the cages only thread. I got them at Pier One.
I was just going to ask about that mat! :)

Chloroplast is usedfor art projects, the backings on tv stands and bookcases (cheaperfurniture) it's that waxy cardboard stuff. It's washable cardboard,quite wonderful stuff. Most graphic arts places, sign shops have it. Imade a couple phone calls in the yellow pages and found a huge sheetfor under $12.00 I think it was larger than 3 x 5 but I can't rememberright now...

Raspberry

Thanks for the ideas everyone. We're needing tomake a new pan for our rabbits, as they pee all over the place now(still using the box).

Raspberry, do you think grass mats would work for me? How easy are theyto clean? Almost seems like if they're cheap enough, it'll be worth it.We use shavings now, but they are messy and I think Valuran is allergicto them.

I don't clean them.Well, I shake them out like a throw rug, the (seagrass ones), the maizeones are glueddown and I vacuum themwhenever Iclean the cage. We really like them. They are safe for chewing when heis in "chewing mode", they are cool and comfortable, they don't seem toharbor bacteria and icky stuff like towels do...

You should see the maizeonesnow....below is a photo of right after I put them in. Nowthey are about1/4 gone from being eaten! :shock:

Raspberry

cage.jpg

Well, thechloroplast is supposed to be in the entire bottom of the cage but wehad a "mismeasure" problem and I haven't returned to get a new pieceyet. It works fine the way it is because the litter and such stay inthe side with the box. Some day I will do it the way the original plancalls for! ;)

Raspberry

I wish I had thought about a cage like that before we built ours, although I still feel we did a good job of it.

Right now, we're having the replace the pan on the bottom because therabbits have peed on it so much that it's stained badly. Now they keepon using the same spot (on top of their box still). Of course, thereare three in there, it's bound to happen.

Latest posts

Back