Natasha Rabbitova's first blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kirbyultra wrote:
Once she discovered that this was her home and that she didn't have to suck up to get food and treats, she quickly learned the rabbit language of "no"! I do hope that Natasha remains as lovely as she is today :)
I was wondering about that myself. We'll see. I'm sure she'll get more rambunctious as she settles in, which is why I'm not giving her free run just yet.

Her last owner said that she would lie in his arms for hours, though, so I think that really is her personality.

I am so pleased you've welcomed another bunny into your life, Mike. And a very beautiful bun at that :)

Sounds like she is settling in just fine - how lovely to have a lap bunny to watch TV with, and get kisses from :)

Jan

Well, Natasha's been here for three days and I think she's getting used to the house, and me. Her personality is coming out more each day. She needs attention every minute. She's just as much a lap bunny as before, and I can't walk anywhere without tripping over her.

On the downside, my goodness can that bunny pee. We've been having discussions about her habit of sitting next to me on the couch and suddenly backing up against the cushion, up comes the tail and... I grab her, say "no", and pop her into her litter box in her cage. She's smart. She'll get the message. Some day. I hope.

This morning I decided to give her a last petting before I left for work. I pulled out the chair which lives next to her cage, sat down and started petting... until I felt the moisture under me. I was sitting in a big puddle of bunny pee, which she'd dispensed over the side from her balcony. Guess I've got to figure out a way to rig an aerial litter tray.

MikeScone wrote:
This morning I decided to give her a last petting before I left for work. I pulled out the chair which lives next to her cage, sat down and started petting... until I felt the moisture under me. I was sitting in a big puddle of bunny pee, which she'd dispensed over the side from her balcony. Guess I've got to figure out a way to rig an aerial litter tray.
:laugh:Naughty bunny!

Today was an eventful day for Natasha and me.

It started out with an unscheduled cleaning of her cage – she got so excited when I came into the living room and announced her breakfast, she bounced around enough on the upper level of her cage to knock her water bottle down to the lower level, soaking everything.

Then, this evening, she got to explore my bedroom and the computer room, which was a Big Deal for her. She’s still investigating everything here as I type, although for the moment she's just lying stretched out next to me, just like Scone used to do.

I think I also figured out a bit of her rabbit-speak. She’d been out of her cage about an hour and half, and had jumped up on my lap in the recliner for petting. After a few minutes, she started digging at my stomach. She’d done that in the past, but I couldn’t figure out what she wanted. This time, she made it clear – by peeing on me. Now I know.

I wonder if she doesn’t realize she can go back into her cage to use the litter box? She does go into the cage if I point at the door and say “go in”, and she sometimes hops in and right back out again, but she doesn’t seem to make the connection that she can return to use her litter box when she needs it. It isn’t that she doesn’t know how to use the litter box – she’s pretty good about it when she’s in the cage. She just doesn’t spontaneously do so when she’s out.

It’s early days yet. Maybe when she’s more comfortable she’ll be OK with going back without worrying that she’ll be closed in.

Meanwhile, here’s another installment of pictures:

“Hi, new Dad!”
Natasha_9494.jpg

“Oh, there you are! I was looking on the sofa for you…”
Natasha_9488.jpg

“Broccoli? I think I like this!”
Natasha_9490.jpg

Resting, but alert.
Natasha_9483.jpg

Huh, how funny. I guess the pawing must mean something. Kirby paws at the ground or on me if he is feeling too agitated by a new environment. It's a signal for me to put him back in his comfy space. Toby used to paw and scratch when he needed to go. I failed to get that message as well! But now that Toby is older, he is able to hold it in for hours if he has to or doesn't feel comfy enough to go (if he is in the car or something).

I really love the way she looks. Black rexes have that really super "smart look" to them.

slavetoabunny wrote:
It may not hurt to put another litterbox on the floor for her while she's out.
I was thinking about doing that - it can't hurt. I've got a litter box in the garage. I'll put it out now, and see if Natasha figures out what it's for.

:)i know im biased but im so glad you found another rex to share your life with. sounds like she's gotten you wrapped around her dainty paws already!

the name suits her too:)

Natasha and I had a weekend together, as by some miracle there wasn't anything scheduled for me to do (other than clean house and unpack from the trip).

I've been starting on editing the 2,900 or so pictures from Scotland. At first, I had Natasha in her cage while I was on the computer, but by this weekend I decided she could be trusted well enough to spend time in the computer room with me. She discovered that it was possible to jump into my lap while I'm working (albeit by clunking her head on the underside of the keyboard tray half the time), so the photo editing's going at about half speed while I try to use the tablet pen with one hand and pet the bunny with the other. At one point she got frustrated with that and jumped onto the keyboard. There were lots of beeps, and one by one the windows closed and I found myself logged out. I didn't know how to do that - how did she?

We sorted laundry on Sunday. Unlike Scone, Natasha seems to approve of my t-shirt folding skills. At least, she just jumps on top of the stack instead of pulling the top shirt off and re-folding it.

We had our own private blackout on Sunday afternoon - the power line from my house to the pole broke. It wasn't fixed until nearly 9:00PM, and Natasha was very confused that the lights were out, but I wasn't in bed. My many years of camping helped out, so preparing a big pot of chili by flashlight wasn't too much of a challenge.

Natasha and I are working out some communications issues. I'm slowly getting across the idea that it hurts when she nips, and she's kissing more and more instead of nipping. She still pees in my lap, though. It almost seems like a kind of blissed out leakage rather than a deliberate action as it was on the sofa (which, knock wood, she seems to have stopped doing). We'll be sitting with her in my lap or against my chest, her eyes half closed, and all of a sudden I feel a warm spot spreading on my pants leg or t-shirt. *sigh*

I put down a litter box in the living room and another in the computer room, but although she hops into and out of them, she hasn't started using them yet. Until then, I think I'll just have to time things and put her back in her cage for a break every hour or so. She does understand "go in", and will do so on command now, so I can let her out in the mornings while I dress and shave and she'll return to her cage when I'm ready to leave (for a treat, of course).

On balance, things are progressing nicely.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
I am so glad to here things are going well.

She might just be marking you as hers, so if you come in contact with any other bunnys they know to keep their paws off of you.

:biggrin:

LOL and she just doesn't understand why her scent keeps going away and she has to mark you AGAIN!!! ;)

Elf Mommy wrote:
Wabbitdad12 wrote:
I am so glad to here things are going well. 

She might just be marking you as hers, so if you come in contact with any other bunnys they know to keep their paws off of you.

:biggrin:

LOL and she just doesn't understand why her scent keeps going away and she has to mark you AGAIN!!! ;)
I concur with these opinions!!

For a moment there I didn't know how one could cook a chili with the energy of a flashlight :p I get it, I get it :)

BTW, I'm quite certain that somewhere in Windows, there's a secret piece of code that responds only to bunny feet smashing on the keyboard. It manages to stop whatever it is you are doing in an instant and you can't replicate it :)

BTW, I'm quite certain that somewhere in Windows, there's a secret piece of code that responds only to bunny feet smashing on the keyboard. It manages to stop whatever it is you are doing in an instant and you can't replicate it :)
All part of the plot the bunny's have to take over the world! I bet she sent out a coded message to all of the other bunny's.;)

Latest posts

Back