Nasty smelling urine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ana_The_Dreamer

Reaction score
Over the past few days, Nessa's urine was started to smell disgusting. It's almost unbearable for me. She's not peeing outside of her box and the urine is a normal color, but the smell is just repulsive. (I line her box with newspaper.) She's only just now developed this smell. She's 8 months old. No she is not spayed and I have no money to get her to a vet. Mostly because I have to buy new carpet for my house. *glances at dog* :mad:.
Any advice on how to minimize the odor?? I'm cleaning her box out twice a day now (washing with hot water and soap, then finishing off with a vinegar cleaning solution) and burning my strongest candles: but to no avail.

It sounds like that normal bunny hormone smell to me. Jovi was right at that age when we had her spayed, and she starting to get pretty smelly. What are you using for her litterbox? One thing that really works well to help cut down on the odor and is cheaper than anything we found, are the wood stove pellets. I found them absolutely wonderful. Jovi absolutely refuses to use them in her litter box though. Barry is perfect and spot on every time with them. Outside of the hormones have you started feeding her anything new? Asparagus :D ? I honestly think though that the only thing that's really going to make a difference is to have her spayed. In my experience of course.

I would suggest though if you were to try changing to wood stove pellets, if you're not already using them, to mix them in as if you were changing food. That way the odds of her rejecting them like Jovi did are less.

It's also a possibility she has developed a UTI as that will make a rabbits urine suddenly smell bad. Could just be hormones too. If you are only using newspaper for litter, that doesn't control odor at all. Be better to use something like wood pellet litter, as channahs mentioned. Cheap, controls odor well, and very absorbent.

Mine got smelly when I changed pellets, even though I made the change slowly. Turns out the pellets had too much protein. Giving them less and changing to a lower protein type when that bag ran out made a world of difference.

I use a cat litter in my Lops litter tray. It is recycled newspaper pellets & it absorbs odors really well.

As mentioned newspaper just laid out, would stink like anything for sure!

I've never tried the wood pellets. The place I get them from, told me they sell 3 times as many of the newspaper pellets, so I'm guessing they are more odour absorbing.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back