Name that Breed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frith

Reaction score
Just brought home another rescue bunny. My vet gave my name to a guy who had "rescued" this rabbit from his neighbor's yard...the kid who had this rabbit (and its partner) neglected them to the point where one died. The man who saved this rabbit nursed it back to health, but needed a home for him. (that's where I come in!) Anyway, I'm not good at guessing breeds, and was curious if anyone here could tell by the pics. Also, is there anyway to tell a rabbit's age? This bunny (currently named Hoppi) is also larger than my other rabbits. He's as big, if not bigger, than our cats. I don't have a scale to weigh him with. I got out the tape measure and he's roughly 16 inches long (not stretched all way out).... (by the way, if the pics are too big, let me know, I will resize)

hoppi2.jpg

hoppi.jpg

how much does he weigh? honestly looks like a New Zeland or a new Zeland cross. New Zelands can and will get 10 lbs or more. For being sick at one point he look very healthy now, Good Job who ever brought him out of it .

Absolutly a New Zealand. He looks just Like Mr Z. He will be very entertaining. They love to run and jump.

Ed

Thanks everyone! I love this forum. :love:

I'm very curious as to how much he weighs, so I think I'll pick up a scale (will a bathroom scale suffice?) tomorrow after work.

Congrats on the new addition!!

I use a bathroom scale to weigh mine...

..you can either put a few treats on the scale and wait for them to wander on.

or I weigh myself .. then weigh myself again while holding the bunny.

jordiwes wrote:
Great job! I'm sure he'll have a great home with you. What's his name? What's his personality like?

The original rescuers were calling him Hoppi, and it's an accurate description, as he does love to hop up on everything when he's out exploring (the couches, the ottoman, the coffee table, the top of his cage, our laps, etc), but neither my husband or I are in love with the name. So we've been batting some possible ideas around. He suggested Morpheus, my mom suggested Cotton or Nimbus, but nothing has stuck yet.(Well, I joke and call him Pee body every time he pees on the floor or blanket. He's not very good yet with the litter box.)

He does NOT like hands in his cage when he's in it, I got bit pretty hard last night (didn't break skin though), and he doesn't like being picked up. I figure it's due to him not being handled much at all in his former home (he was a neglected hutch rabbit). But other than that, he loves to have his head and ears petted/rubbed. Once the quarantine period is over, I'm going to try to bond him with our other bunny bachelor, Gunner.

Latest posts

Back