Nala and Gaz

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap, I just read the dietary requirements for sugar gliders, that is a lot of work!
I thought it was going to be difficult to get the right nutrition into Foo after I took her off pellets, thats nothing compared to what the gliders need!
I'm sure you've done a ton of research, but I had no idea what they needed! They're SO much different than rabbits.

I can't wait for you to get them you, like Lisa said, she'll live vicariously through you. I think I will too! They seem like such interesting animals.

yup, sugar glider diets are SCARY!! I'm still very antsy about the diet thing and wishing the sugar glider forum I like would stop being broken so I can ask a few more things before I bring a pair home.

meanwhile, cage assembly has turned into a HUGE ordeal ><

OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!

I had momma out of the nest so I could peek at the baby hammies... and one of them YAWNED! it was the cutest freaking thing!!

3 day old hammy babies!

DSCF06492.jpg

DSCF06502.jpg

hamsters, lol... there are some pics of mom and dad about 2/3 of the way down the previous page :)

the hammy babies are getting bigger already! their skin is starting to change color based on how their fur will start growing in a couple more days. it looks like I have 6 broken, 5 solid and one that I think might be an albino o_O I can't wait to see how they look in a few more days!

they're starting to look a little more like hammies and have grown just a hint of fur now! they're 5 days old (or will be in a couple hours, anyway):

DSCF06552.jpg

DSCF06562.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of hammy babies!
Its crazy to think that one hamster carried all of those babies. Better yet, how does she nurse them all?! Geez, thats a good mama hammy!

I like the one in the top picture who has his legs straddling two other ones :)

aww, I didn't even notice that! I'm rather partial to the little albino-looking one.

she "only" had 12 babies... they can actually have litters as large as 24!! she seems to do a decent enough job of feeding 'em all; she sits on the nest at least 20 hours a day.

Good lord, could you imagine 24! That would be CHAOS! They all look around the same size, so it looks like she's doing a pretty good job feeding them.

Are you going to keep the little albino one?

Aww... I think you're starting to make me not hate hamsters! :p

Don't get me wrong, they're adorable... But the only animals I've ever been attacked by for no reason, on multiple occasions, are ducks and hamsters. So those are the only animals I don't like. Literally just minding my own business, and then CHOMP! I'm bit! Or in the ducks' case, I've never met a duck that didn't chase me. Lordy, I'm so terrified of ducks. My boyfriend thinks it's hilarious. I do NOT.

yeah, some hammies are... well, not very nice. really depends on how they're raised/socialized/handled. they're also a pain in the butt because they're *constantly* wiggling around and trying to run off (as opposed to things like rats, who will actually sit there and chill on your hand).

They are SOOOOO cute. I have had 7 hamsters growing up. I never housed any together and never had a batch of babies. I often had 3 cages of hamsters in my room at 1 time. I found that the meanest hamsters were the female dwarfs. The male teady bear hamsters were the sweetest from my experience and also the easiest to handle. The one that I remember the most was a male dwarf that was born at my next door neighbors house. His name was Cuddles. He was my baby. He grew a HUGE tumor that was 1/2 the size of him. He lived for over a year with that tumor on him. My parents would never take it to the vet though. I really miss my hamsters, but the next animal I want is some rats or some cavies. Though that will probably not happen for many years.

Good luck raising those babies. Keep us updated with them and the bunnies (remember LOTS of pictures).

Latest posts

Back