Nails????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margarita

Reaction score
Is there anything for an indoor rabbit to play with that can keep her nails groomed inbetween visits to the vet for nail trimmings?

I go once a month and its a nightmare getting her in her carrier.

You should learn to clip her nails yourself. It is not complicated and takes under 5 minutes to all of the nails. I personally clip all the nails for my rabbits (and often other peoples rabbits) my and my parents cats and occasionally the dogs. My dogs are TERRORS when it comes to nail clipping and have weird nails so they get their nails clipped at the vet when they go in (every 6 months or so). Sorry if this was off topic :)

Any sort of stone or other rough surface would help wear them down, but I agree that it'd be easier for everyone if you were able to trim them yourself. Ask your vet to show you how they do it and then work on doing it at home. It's also a good idea to get bunnies used to their carrier. Try leaving the carrier in the bunny's area so they see it as their house rather than a strange thing. Then you can work up to taking the carrier to the car and short trips in the car which should all help make the rabbit more comfortable.

Thanks for the input. I know how to cut her nails its getting her to bunny burrito her which is impossible. Once she knows I'm coming to get her she makes sure I can't get her.

I leave the carrier out and put treats sometimes in there when I go to work so she knows she won't always be going to the vet when she's in it. Still doesn't work. She's very smart she knows when she's going to vet or if I'm trying to pick her up.

Does she need trimmed every month? Mine can go 3 months. In fact, I bring mine to the rescue for a free trimming because Sapphire is just so difficult. (I have trimmed the nails of all my past bunnies)

Anyway, I recently brought them in for a trim after about 9-10 weeks and it was the rescue that suggested I can stretch it to 3 months since their nails weren't needing it so much. (mine are indoors, have free roam on carpet.)

Good idea with the carrier -- putting treats in there sometimes. Perhaps try doing that sometimes when you are home. Let her get used to you being nearby when she goes in the carrier to get her treats. That way she doesn't think that anytime you are near the carrier that she will be locked in.

well i guess i could go longer than a month but everyone on here suggested every month for indoor rabbits when i asked. i am goign to try and get something for her to dig on that might drag it out a little longer. I wish i could do it myself but i live alone and its stressful for both of us.

thanks

yea i might try to have someone help me and see how that goes. doing it alone is justnot working.

I find that if I try to cut nails and they struggle and I give up, they will continue to behave badly when it is time to cut nails, and I'll never get it done. If I don't give up, it might take 10 min or more, but they will calm down and realize that the nail trim is going to happen and there's nothing they can do about it. There are also ways to do it that are less stressful. This video shows one I like to use: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyyxQRoAhcw[/ame]

lol yea it would be great if my bunny was that relaxed when i held her. i think im going to need a helpee to hold her.

thanks

Some bunnies...like some dogs and cats, no matter how hard you try, all the time and all the patience isn't going to make them okay with nail clipping...any more than all the love, time and patience going to make every bunny want to be picked up or cuddle. Bunnies are just made that way. I would take others advice and stretch it out as long as you can between visits...and in some cases it is probably far safer for the professionals to do it...than risk injury to your bunny. All of mine, with one exception have all been really good about it...and being a "jack of all trades" for a vet for a year, I trimmed a lot of nails so feel very comfortable trimming all my pets nails (except the horses of course) However even with my comfort level and experience, I was nervous trimming my bunny who did not like having her nails trimmed! I even always had someone to hold her...she was always so squirrelly I was afraid she was going to flip and break her back! We got her as an 8 wk old baby...we had for years and she never changed. So I feel you pain and frustration...good luck!!!

Thanks so much for posting the video! I've been wondering exactly how I should cut my bunny's nails. I've just been using a nail file so far.

Okay, using the video as a guide I cut her nails successfully with no ouchies! :) Thanks x2! :)

Latest posts

Back