Nails nearly impossible to clip!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samantha Way

Reaction score
I have tried clipping my bunnies nails for years now with no success. There is just 1 vet near me that takes bunnies and their prices for just nail clipping keeps going up. I’ve tried clipping their nails when they’re just standing, i’ve tried the burrito blanket style which helps a little but it’s not long before they’re jumping away. Does anyone have any tips at all? I’m desperate.

I struggle with this as well, and I've a few tips that may help!

Firstly, something you could do is to bring them to an area that is more unfamiliar for them so they would be less likely to run and explore. I try to do this in a small room like the spare bathroom or laundry room and it helps to keep them still. I've also seen people bring them to their car or put them up on a higher counter or table to keep them from running away as far.

Another thing I like to do is to have a second person to assist- this helps so much. One person can hold the rabbit, and then the second person can clip the nails.

I've had no success with the bunny burrito blanket style either, but something I've recently done when cutting her nails myself was I wore a thick hoodie on top of my normal t-shirt and put her under the hoodie which keeps her still. I take out one paw at a time and it has been working pretty well!

You can also try to distract them with food but sometimes they get so annoying that they won't eat.

Hope this helped a bit!

This is a popular topic. If you need more help, in the upper right hand corner of this page, type in "nails" in the search, and you will find more posts and suggestions along with videos on taking care of nails.

I recently discovered a tip that helps with one of my sassy ones. I'll place her on my bed (i suppose any other soft surface will do) and then give her pets to lull her some. Then i take her front paw and gently 'fold it over' so that thr nails are facing her hind, and it helps her be a bit calmer&i can see her nails better. It only works with front paws and when she's in the mood though.

Yes, I have found most video's demonstrating some procedure with a rabbit (i.e. nail clipping, syringe feeding) all have a compliant rabbit that holds perfectly still. Frustrating. My recommendation is to take the Bun to the Vet. Just not worth the hassle and can stress out your bun. My vet charges only $13.

Latest posts

Back