Nail Trimming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musta-Eyolf-Pedes

Reaction score
Newton badly needs his rear nails trimmed. He'll hold still enough for me to cut his front but he panics and hides when I put the clippers anywhere near his back feet. I can't use the blanket technique that's been suggested because he thinks it's a game when I cover him with a towel and when I try to get him to stay still, he freaks out and starts acting like he's afraid of me. I'm scared of him being hurt when he's kicking and twisting like that so I've stopped trying. What can I do?

For my buns, they go mental when it comes time for what limited pellets they do get that I sneak in while they are preoccupied with being gobble guts. I find its way easier than trying to wrangle them and stress them out.

Or, if you think you can't manage still, there are groomers and vets that will be happy to trim them for you for a small fee :)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9KemnaTGIs[/ame]

The vet we use charges $20 to trim a rabbit's nails.

It's easier for a vet to trim your rabbit's nail's since the rabbit is afraid of strangers and won't fight. Your rabbit, knows you, and is not afraid to fuss if you try to cut it's nails. Whenever I take the rabbit to the vet, I always have her nails trimmed. Just like when I take my car in for service, I always have the oil and filter changed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9KemnaTGIs

The vet we use charges $20 to trim a rabbit's nails.

It's easier for a vet to trim your rabbit's nail's since the rabbit is afraid of strangers and won't fight. Your rabbit, knows you, and is not afraid to fuss if you try to cut it's nails. Whenever I take the rabbit to the vet, I always have her nails trimmed. Just like when I take my car in for service, I always have the oil and filter changed!
That was very informative, but I can't imagine Newton letting anyone hold him like that. If he doesn't have 4 points of contact he isn't a happy camper. He doesn't mind being held or picked up though as long as all 4 feet are touching you.

A little correction. My vet does not charge $20 to trim bunny nails. His office charges $10 to trim bunny nails for each bunny. I had two bunnies, so $20.

When I had my girls neutered, I also had them have their nails trimmed, under anesthetic, and also had them microchiped. Microchipping cost $51 dollars each for the bunnies.

Monroe is small enough that I can cradle her like a baby between my arm and chest, then use the arm that is cradling to hold her back foot steady and use my free hand to operate the nail clippers.
Or I cradle her between my thighs on her back but this hold seems to stress her more and is harder for me to maneuver while I have my big preggo belly in the way. lol

Latest posts

Back