Nail Trimming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musta-Eyolf-Pedes

Reaction score
I've never had a rabbit before and I know they need their nails trimmed if they have nothing to dig in. Mine really likes to dig so I was going to look into getting something, but until then I'm stuck trimming his/her nails on my own and its starting to get painful when he/she runs across me or tries to climb me. Does anyone have any tips or advice? Is there a specific tool I should use for it? (S)he's really small yet, and (s)he seems to be really bonded to me, so I'm kind of nervous about doing more harm than good

Wrap her up in a towel (bunny burrito) and then cut her nails like this it is easy and stares free and no one gets hurt :) even if they can dig there nails need to be cut!

Just get a towel and put your bun on her back then wrap the towel so it is snug but won't hurt her then push the towel up so her feet are in the open :) it's kinda confusing but here is a video which explains it better and shows you :)

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t3okPKg9Fc8[/ame]

Me too! I watched all of them right after getting Macy and they were incredibly helpful :)

With our first rabbits, we took them to the vet when they were 2 months old and she clipped their nails. After that - and for 4 years - I have been doing it myself. The vet uses something that looks like a mix of a pair of nail scissors and nail clippers; I just use nail clippers, clip their nails ever 3-4 weeks and just cut the tips - which are a paler color. Don't clip them too short or you will make them bleed; if you do happen to do this, you can apply Dettol or Betadine (watered down a bit) and keep them clean until they heal.

Your vet could trim his/ her nails or you could buy some clippers from the pet shop. I lift up their front paws whilst they're on a table (on a towel) and clip a bit of the end making sure not to go past the pink blood vessels. They have white claws so it is relatively easy but you can shine a torch under the nails if they're dark. From a relatively young age I regularly held their paw (not pulling o the ground but just holding it a few cm of the ground and gave them a small piece of fruit). As of this, they don't mind when I touch their front paws. For the back paws I sit them on my lap so their bottom is being supported by my lap and I'm supporting their chest and clip the nails with the other hand. However I would definitely ask somebody to hold them if possible.

I acknowledge what writers are saying about a "bunny burrito", but what I do is place a plastic (patio) chair next to a (low) patio table, pick up my rabbit and lay him - belly down - across my lap. I clip the outside (front/back) paws, turn him round and then do the other 2 paws. If you are wearing good clothes, put an old towel on your lap first.

I like the bunny burrito, but I don't understand how you can get the feet out without unwrapping the whole burrito?

and for the other video, my bunny doesn't sit still when I try to do that to him... even when I cover the eyes.

Latest posts

Back