nail trimming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujub793

Reaction score
Yikes!!!! i was just trimming Walter's nails and i got it too short and now its bleeding!! I don't have one of those stipic (?) pencils to stop it, did i read someplace you could use flour? and if so how do you do it??? HELP!!!!

I used a cold wet washcloth before and it has worked. I clipped a guinea pig's nail too short before and it was bleeding and used a cold wet washcloth on it. It did stop the bleeding. So it could work for a rabbit.

jujub793 wrote:
Yikes!!!! i was just trimming Walter's nails and i got it too short and now its bleeding!! I don't have one of those stipic (?) pencils to stop it, did i read someplace you could use flour? and if so how do you do it??? HELP!!!!

I'm not sure about flour, but it could work. Many rabbit owners keep corn starch for their rabbits. I think it makes it "clot" better.

Just apply it with anything with a pointy, round tip (if you have q-tips, they work great)

I use flour because it does the same thing as stiptic powder - it dries up the blood, and blocks the wound, so the bleeding stops. I also use baby wipes as well, if it's bleeding really bad, and I use the wipes to clean up the blood afterwards. ;)

I'll have to try q-tips sometime - that seems like a good idea. ;)

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
I use flour because it does the same thing as stiptic powder - it dries up the blood, and blocks the wound, so the bleeding stops. I also use baby wipes as well, if it's bleeding really bad, and I use the wipes to clean up the blood afterwards. ;)

I'll have to try q-tips sometime - that seems like a good idea. ;)

Emily
Flour works. My guinea pig Twinky's nails were bleeding once and I applied flour. It does the thing in a trick!:big wink:Although I haven't tried q-tips before, thinking of trying!:p

Latest posts

Back