Nail trimming!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zer0_online

Reaction score
So my little Luna is probably 3-4 months old and HATES her nails clipped. I tired once, used the light to try and not clip her. I got about 3 nails before I had to call it quits. She was so upset she nipped my leg. Poor baby.

Any tip or tricks? I’ve watched so many YouTube videos and I feel like none of them have worked for me!

Thank you for taking the time read!

Last time I trimmed my rabbits nails (about two days ago) I had brushed them all before hand and they all seemed to do a lot better, like the brushing had relaxed them.
She might be freaking out because your cutting her fur around her nails, try slightly wetting the fur on her feet to keep it out of the way.

I’m only now comfortable enough to do Apollo’s nails, but it’s think it’s mostly a confidence thing. Once she’s comfortable and bonded with you, it’ll be a lot easier. I’d just keep trying it - even if you only get one nail done, and let her go if she really wants to. You may get bitten and scratched a lot too though
Taking her to the vet is another option

My brother and I clip our bunny’s nails. He doesn’t like the picking up process (like most bunnies) but enjoys being stroked while we’re standing and holding him. I usually have my brother hold him while standing and I kneel to clip his claws from underneath. We usually have to go through a few repositionings but get 2-4 paws done. If we only get half done, we do the other paws a few days later.

I have one bunny who happily hops in a carrier so I can put her on the counter, but then I have a 45 min performance doing her nails because she hates it so much. Just as I’m about to press the clipper down, she snatches her paw away (and it’s not because she can feel it, I took her to an awful groomer once and I think the experience has made her scared). She gets very frustrated, digs at the blanket and tries to hop away from me, but eventually she gives in and we get it done.

Her buddy is is opposite - I’ll spend 45 mins getting her in the carrier and then the nails are a 5 minute job.

I generally have to set aside a couple of hours if I want to do them both on the same day.

Patience, lots of cuddles and treats.

Last time I trimmed my rabbits nails (about two days ago) I had brushed them all before hand and they all seemed to do a lot better, like the brushing had relaxed them.
She might be freaking out because your cutting her fur around her nails, try slightly wetting the fur on her feet to keep it out of the way.
Yes! That could have been it as well. I’ll try slightly wetting her fur! Thank you

I’m only now comfortable enough to do Apollo’s nails, but it’s think it’s mostly a confidence thing. Once she’s comfortable and bonded with you, it’ll be a lot easier. I’d just keep trying it - even if you only get one nail done, and let her go if she really wants to. You may get bitten and scratched a lot too though
Taking her to the vet is another option
They can trim nails at the vets office!? I didn’t know that! Thank you!

I consider it a two person job for fussy buns- I usually hold her, and then my brother clips them so I can have a more secure grip on her so she won't squirm away lol.
Maybe you can ask a family member for assistance?

Latest posts

Back