Nail trimming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kendraanneh

Reaction score
What is the easiest way you have discovered to trim your rabbits nail? I don't want to take mine too the vet

I found this video to show a sure way to trim nails. One has to follow the instructions precisely for it to work. But as she explains, this is a method she created when having to work, by herself, trimming nails of various rabbits that were not her own.

The "press, press, clip" is vital. Also, the leg shaking (you'll see) actually does work as described!

I have only done teeny tiny trims but really do not feel comfortable doing it. We have gone to a groomer twice, had a traveling groomer come here and gone to the vet tech for trims. The traveling groomer used a grinding tool. That worked well. I feel like we have had the best experience with the vet tech. She has done a good job and it is affordable.

The traveling groomer had me hold my bunny with a blanket and she held each paw.

The other groomer had my rabbit sit on the floor and she took each paw.

I do not see the vet tech as she takes the bunny back herself.

I discovered the easiest way for me is to take Marlow to the vet and have them do it. I tried to get him used to me touching his feet but now if he even thinks my hand is not there to scratch his head he runs off and gives me the cold shoulder.

I bunny burrito mine and have to sing and kiss his forehead nonstop while I trim. He runs away the moment I stop singing and kissing. If I'm lucky it takes me 1.5hrs to trim all 18 nails... would love to have it done at the vet/groomer if only there's one near me or within a 30mins drive.

We burrito wrap all of our fur-babes and gently rest them on their backs. Have done this procedure for 18 years. In less than a minute, we are done. Hub helps me for the buns that are too long to fit in my lap well, or be swaddled briefly, or have dark nails. They keep their eyes open and watch --and I do talk to them explaining what I'm doing (how many nails left to clip) as they make eye contact. Praises bestowed throughout.

It is interesting to read that some lay there bunnys on there back.
I'm a new bunny mom, but have done my research.
I read an article about laying rabbits on there back. That it raises the heart beat and can harm the rabbit.
I guess if the rabbit is in this position for just a couple of minutes it may be ok.
I also, need to learn how to clip my Cinnabun nails, but have already made mistakes, and Cinnabun had forgiven me.
Just don't want to make one more.

Yes, I have read those cautions about trancing a rabbit.

From all the years we've had rabbits, I never leave them on their back to watch their head fall away or tip backwards from their neck. An opposum might play dead for a sniffing mammal of a predatory species, but imo, rabbits aren't going to do so. To force a rabbit to be on his/her back for extended length of time is never - absolutely not - advised.

None of our rabbits were harmed by a burrito wrap for nail trims. Hope this helps.

98% of our crew is so acclimated to being held, and held in a snuggle towel, next to my chest. Hence, the slightly lowered angle of nail trim time doesn't upset them.

@Sweet Potato rabbit, similar to your technique, I continue talking and explaining what I am doing and reassure each bun.

There was a moment when one of our disabled girl's unexpectedly jerked/retracted her foot away and her entire nail came out. Pressure applied, plus Kwik Stop, to stop the bleeding.

A towel swaddle helps. There are a few in our sanctuary crew that do not tolerate being tipped on their back so I understand not everybunny will tolerate nail trims this way.

Attachments

• SRR_KorriManicureLookRS2.jpg
    SRR_KorriManicureLookRS2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 5
My bunny does not do well with me holding her.
We are working on brushing her fur. I don't really need to hold but I need her to stay in one place.
I have seen how to make a bunny burrito. But then how would I get to each foot?

I gently extract each foot or front paw from the swaddle wrap. I can sense each bun's tenseness or relaxed demeanor as they recognize we will do no harm. Our sanctuary crew is accustomed to being swaddled (not all, but most are) so the brief minute or less they are swaddled and lovingly talked to poses no problem or hypnosis trancing.

Attachments

• Minders_2017_AprilNailTrim.jpg
    Minders_2017_AprilNailTrim.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 2
  • JSBPhotoCR_SentinelWMyRescueDadRST2.jpg
    JSBPhotoCR_SentinelWMyRescueDadRST2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 2
  • JSBPhotoCR_HoldingSharlaJuly17_07RST.jpg
    JSBPhotoCR_HoldingSharlaJuly17_07RST.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3
Well tried clipping nails tonight. Tried to show my roommate how to hold her but he was afraid of hurting her. So I just held her with one hand and got the front done.
Couldn't get the back ones done.
I have watched the video, but Cinnabun will not stay put.

Attachments

• 20210503_231937.jpg
    20210503_231937.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back