Nail clipping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffy_lop

Reaction score
Oh no! I've just tried to clip bunny's nails and I cut too far down and they're bleeding profusely - the two I clipped. I must have cut too far down, but it didn't seem like it at the time. :oops::( Will bunny be OK, so I need to do anything like betadine?

They should be fine. Just dip the nails that are bleeding into a bit of flour (any kind will work).

A tip for next time is to press on the nail before you cut. If they flinch or try to pull their foot back, you're too far. It took me a while to get there but I can finally clip my rabbits nails 😅

They should be fine. Just dip the nails that are bleeding into a bit of flour (any kind will work).

A tip for next time is to press on the nail before you cut. If they flinch or try to pull their foot back, you're too far. It took me a while to get there but I can finally clip my rabbits nails 😅
You have made me feel better. I felt so terrible. Poor bunny. He's very forgiving, he still lets me pat him and I gave him a carrot to say sorry.

You are quite lucky to have a bun that will forgive you so quickly! Sir Lawrence will stay mad at me for days for me picking him up (only when necessary)! 😂 😂

But yes, he'll be fine! Corn starch also works in place of what's called "styptic powder" which is available at most drug stores, and is specifically meant to stop bleeding. I use it on my face, because I'm terrible at shaving! 😂😂😂

My vet uses a little flashlight to see through the nail to where the quick is, which helps her cut their nails as short as possible without bleeding.

You'll get the hang of it! Chin up! ☺☺☺

Latest posts

Back