Nail clipping problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie94

Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve found myself in a situation where I need to be able to clip my rabbits nails. Normally I’d prefer the vet to do it however due to COVID 19 vets are only taking emergencies and I’m not sure how long this will go on for.

Does anyone have any tips or techniques they can share for holding them securely and clipping at the same time. My other half is no good at holding them and too scared to do the clipping if I held them so I’m working on the basis I need to be able to do this on my own.
So far I have practiced touching his feet and letting him see the clippers and putting them to his paw so he gets familiar with everything and that part seems to be going well so I think if anything my nervousness will be more of an issue than my bunny!

Place him on your lap and give him pets as if it was just cuddling time. While he’s in your arms, gently press the clipper on his nail. If he flinches, it’s likely that your too close to his quick. If he does, clip the nail. If you do accidentally clip his quick, flour will help stop the bleeding. It sounds daunting but the more you do it, it’ll be easier!

Latest posts

Back