Nail Clipping for Feisty Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milousmom

Reaction score
I know there are a few posts out there for suggestion on how to do nail clippings. But, specifically for those who have really feisty, squirmy bunnies who will not sit still for a nail trim, have you found a good way to do it. I would go to the vet/groomer to clip it but obviously trying to avoid going out anywhere right now, and most places are shut down now anyways.

For reference, I have tried:

• Using a high table. (Nope. Still moves around and I'm scared he'll fall.)
  • Bunny burrito.
  • Bribing with treats.
All have failed :(

I have a crazily fussy rabbit when it comes to nail clipping. Our vet always has to take him into the other room so that she can clip his nails and the other vet can hold him. And Apollo is a thumper as well, so the noise that comes out of that room, it’s absolutely hilarious :D

Desensitising will be your best option for now unless she’s urgently due for a nail clip. To desensitise, touch her feet with your hand and give her a treat. Do that a few times until she just doesn’t care and expects a treat. Now touch the nail clipper to her feet (it doesn’t need to be open or against a nail), give her a treat. Again do that a few time. Put the nail clipper over a nail, give her a treat. Put the nail clipper over her nail and do a small press, give her a treat. Then eventually start to clip. Give her a treat. If she decides she had enough, let her go and pet her. Even if this goes on everyday and you only get to do a nail a day, it’s still gradually getting her used to it.
https://www.thesprucepets.com/how-to-trim-rabbit-nails-1237208

Thanks! I'll try that.

I have a crazily fussy rabbit when it comes to nail clipping. Our vet always has to take him into the other room so that she can clip his nails and the other vet can hold him. And Apollo is a thumped as well, so the noise that comes out of that room, it’s absolutely hilarious :D

Desensitising will be your best option for now unless she’s urgently due for a nail clip. To desensitise, touch her feet with your hand and give her a treat. Do that a few times until she just doesn’t care and expects a treat. Now touch the nail clipper to her feet (it doesn’t need to be open or against a nail), give her a treat. Again do that a few time. Put the nail clipper over a nail, give her a treat. Put the nail clipper over her nail and do a small press, give her a treat. Then eventually start to clip. Give her a treat. If she decides she had enough, let her go and pet her. Even if this goes on everyday and you only get to do a nail a day, it’s still gradually getting her used to it.
https://www.thesprucepets.com/how-to-trim-rabbit-nails-1237208

I have to say that @Apollo’s Slave idea is way better than my method LOL. I have to hold mine and coax her with a treat after each clipping and while she's distracted with eating, I cut her nails as quick as possible. Sure she'll grunt from time to time and she'll occasionally try to turn herself, but after awhile she just gives up and waits for it to be done and over with. Then I give her the last treat and tell her I'm sorry for being such a mean rabbit mom. :p

I do a mix of these two videos. Theo doesn't like getting his nails clipped so I have to be super firm and reward him with lots of treats.

I have a feeling he has had a negative experience with nail clipping, not while you are his mom though. So try to slow work your way to just getting his paw in your hand. Let him see the clipers in his pen for a few days so he knows what is is then take him with the clipers. It will take time but is is worth it. If he needs them done now then you might want to use theos or Apollo’s Slaves methods but other wise ease into it! Good luck!

Just in case this helps someone, I’m going to give an update. So, today I took him into the bathtub and wrapped him with a towel. I guess since he was in an unfamiliar place, he didn’t move as much (for the first littlle bit haha), and I managed to clip all the nails on one foot. I guess I’ll try to clip the other feet in the next coming days.
And @Bunnylove, he’s only had his nails clipped at the vet, which he doesn’t like so much. I don’t think he’s necessarily really afraid, he just likes to be moving around, doing his own thing at all times.

Since we are all quarantined, we figured this is the best time to do something none of the cats or Pepper (our Netherland Dwarf) enjoy at all. The cats were much worse than Pepper. We tried something different this time. Watching Dr. Pol we saw they covered horses eyes to calm them, so with a combination of keeping her on her back and covering her eyes, this was the best experience we have had so far. Yes, it still took my daughter and I, but once finished, she just rolled over and was as happy as ever!

Latest posts

Back