Myxomatosis or Conjunctivitis?????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flopsygirl

Reaction score
Hi all,
so yesterday I noticed some white goo in the corner of Baileys eye. Through the day it got worse so twice I softly wiped it with some warm salty water. Then last night I noticed it starting in the other eye but not as bad.
This morning I got up and his eye was covered in puss I couldn’t even see his eyeball.
At 9am I was on phone to vet and she said to come straight in.
She cleaned the eye, checked for swelling of the ears and genitals but they were okay so far but he did have a slight fever.
She isn’t sure it’s myxomatosis as yet so she gave him a painkiller and antibiotic injection and some eye drops. I’m told to wait 24-48 hours.
Doing some googling I’m hoping it might be conjunctivitis?
I’m In Australia so Myxomatosis is always on ours minds and there is no vaccine here for it, but I’m hoping we are just jumping to conclusions.
( Ives added an album with pics of the eye on my profile page, as I can’t seem to work out how to upload them from my phone to the forum

Last edited:
Apollo had conjunctivitis recently but it was only in one eye. His symptoms were runny eye, loss of fur around that eye, redness of eyes.

Is he eating and drinking still? Running around, possibly?

Apollo’s conjunctivitis didn’t seem too affect him too badly.
I’ve never had a rabbit that had myxomatosis but I’ve just searched it. I live in London, England and myxomatosis is a worry for us too.

I’ve taken a screenshot of the symptoms for the two. The first one is Myxomatosis and the second is conjunctivitis. You could also google his symptoms and see if any other bunny parents have had the same thing.

I hope that Baileys okay.

Also to add a picture (at least on iphones). Go to the bottom of your text to where it says ‘reply to thread’, ‘upload a file’, and ‘preview’. Click upload file. Three options will come up, click your desired one (for me it’s ‘photo library’) and it’ll show you your camera roll. Choose desired pictures and press ‘done’ at the top of the screen.

Attachments

• 550A9251-EBE3-47DB-BE87-C470411E15FD.png
    550A9251-EBE3-47DB-BE87-C470411E15FD.png
    139 KB · Views: 3
  • 1C9B2AB5-3952-4D5C-9B1A-811988C8AEB0.jpeg
    1C9B2AB5-3952-4D5C-9B1A-811988C8AEB0.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2
Thxs for info. This morning he is looking better. His eye isn’t as pussy and he’s eating and hopping out of his cage. I think the antibiotic might have kicked in.
This was his eye yesterday morning when I woke up.
69329FC7-632C-459A-858B-4CFFFE60CF63.jpeg
before vet
And this was his eye last night after me keeping on keeping it clean with warm salty water
0AFB3073-1672-4BFF-BD52-5CB91930F35B.jpeg
it was very swollen but it seems to have come down quite a bit this morning. I had some antibiotic eye drops for conjunctivitis left from my dog that I used on him last night. The other eye is starting to get a bit of puss in the inner corner now as well.
I’ll keep
Posting update pics for people for future reference and keep you posted on his outcome

I'm no expert, but I did have a situation similar to this. I rescued a pet bunny that was going to get dumped at a park somewhere simply because it had nest box eye / another eye ailment similar to yours. Hard to look at. After a few phone calls to humane society, they took him from me and completed the surgery for free and sent them to a good new home. I haven't heard anything since, so I assume he's fine now. But I miss him!

Again, this situation is different, seeing as it was not my pet, I just wanted him to be alive and well. I can see how this would be different for a pet... Good luck and I'm glad you went to the vet! I went to the humane society seeing as I could not afford the vet bill at the time.

Latest posts

Back