Myxo-RHD vaccine side effects

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kada

Reaction score
My bunny got the Nobivac Myxo-Rhd vaccine a little over a week ago. A couple days ago I noticed a red swollen spot on his upper eye lid. Today I noticed a red spot on his nose. He is acting like himself though, eating, drinkin etc. Has anyone else's bunny had these types of side effects from the vaccine? How long did it take for them to go away?

I asked about this on another forum and some people said that this is a quite common reaction to the vaccine and the spots should go away in a few weeks. However, on the vaccine package leaflet it said that these reaction are very rare so I'm a bit confused now..

I don’t think this is normal. My rabbit got the same vaccine about a week ago and took it as if it wasn’t even there and was the exact same once she got home. Do you have a picture of it?

It would depend on how severe a reaction occurs on whether or not anything needs to be done. Nodular myxo, or a less severe form of the disease that can sometimes happen in a vaccinated rabbit, as far as I know isn't common but can happen.

I would suggest contacting your vet to let them know what has happened and see if they want you to bring your bun back in. If the reaction is more than minor, it may be your vet will want to put your bun on antibiotics and anti inflammatories. If your rabbit starts having any loss of appetite, then supportive feedings may become necessary. If it's just a few minor nodules with no loss of appetite, then your vet may only want you to monitor your rabbits condition without bringing your bun back in or starting your bun on meds.
MediRabbit (nodular myxomatosis in rabbits)

http://www.allanimalsvetclinic.co.uk/pdf/rabbit-fact-sheet-no-1-myxomatoisis.pdf

I don’t think this is normal. My rabbit got the same vaccine about a week ago and took it as if it wasn’t even there and was the exact same once she got home. Do you have a picture of it?
A few people here in Finland said that their bunnies also got this reaction from the vaccine. The virus was first discovered here in july so this is the first time my bunny got a vaccination against it. Im wondering if the nodules are because he hasn't gotten this vaccine before..

I'll try to get a picture of the spot on his nose later but here's the one on his eye. And mu bunny is acting like the spots aren't even there so I'm guessing they don't bother him too much.

Attachments

• IMG_20201201_102704.jpg
    IMG_20201201_102704.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 3
It would depend on how severe a reaction occurs on whether or not anything needs to be done. Nodular myxo, or a less severe form of the disease that can sometimes happen in a vaccinated rabbit, as far as I know isn't common but can happen.

I would suggest contacting your vet to let them know what has happened and see if they want you to bring your bun back in. If the reaction is more than minor, it may be your vet will want to put your bun on antibiotics and anti inflammatories. If your rabbit starts having any loss of appetite, then supportive feedings may become necessary. If it's just a few minor nodules with no loss of appetite, then your vet may only want you to monitor your rabbits condition without bringing your bun back in or starting your bun on meds.
MediRabbit (nodular myxomatosis in rabbits)

http://www.allanimalsvetclinic.co.uk/pdf/rabbit-fact-sheet-no-1-myxomatoisis.pdf
Can this nodular myxo happen from the vaccine or does the rabbit have to have come in contact with the virus outside or? Because my bunny has only been inside except for the trip to the vet..

And he's acting completely normal, just the spots on his eye and nose, so I'm thingking of not going to the vet just yet. The vets in my town and in near cities are not good with rabbits so it might do less harm than good to take him there.

Also, do you know if this type of reaction is more common when it's given for the first time? Here in Finland the myxomatosis virus was first discovered in July so this was the first time he got vaccinated against it.

Here's the picture of the spot on his nose.

Attachments

• IMG_20201204_075021.jpg
    IMG_20201204_075021.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back