Mysterious green stain on ankle?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennysMama

Reaction score
Hello bun parents, this is my first time posting here. I have a question about 1 of my bunnies Jenny 2 yrs old (pictured below) she has had this mysterious stain on her front paw for a few weeks now. At first I thought it was a stain from the hay and it would disappear on its on. But it’s been weeks and it’s still there and I’ve noticed she keeps licking it, I thought maybe she injured herself so I felt around for any sprains (she isn’t a fan of her paws being touched) any suggestions as what it could be? She doesn’t limp, she jumps on my bed and even escaped her dog sized xpen twice. We have a doctors appointment early tomorrow morning. Hoping for good news.
76C935DC-888D-4054-AD8E-A1B85BA567DD.jpeg

Check if there seems to be any crustiness to the skin underneath. If not, if you feed any green veggies to her, it could just be a stain from veggie juice and her wiping her mouth with her paws after eating them. It could also explain her wanting to lick the area as it will still have that veggie taste to it.

Another common reason for rabbits to get staining there, is a respiratory infection and runny nose, from wiping their nose with their paws. But your rabbits nose looks very clean, so I doubt it would be this.

Thank you for replying, I haven’t feed her any greens due to RHDV2. Her nose is relatively dry and white. Could it be maybe when she sneezes due to hay dust/ fresh paper litter that she wipes her nose & somehow uses that paw? My wall of theories is getting full.

Also forgot to mention when she grooms and cleans the spot it’s as though she bitting it/ scratching with her teeth. That’s why it’s usually more wet than the paw(normal grooming). I’m thinking it could be a skin irritation issue.

It does sound like it could be staining from excess grooming then, which does indicate there could be a problem with the leg. It could be a skin issue, or it could be below the surface and is a bone or muscle issue. Maybe possibly an abscess. So it's good you're bringing her to the vet tomorrow.

I’m back with an update, so far the vet found nothing wrong with her, she gained weight and her teeth are fine. I think it might be from boredom, she’s a highly spirited rabbit, high energy & hates her routine interrupted. I limited her free roam to just one room for a couple of days for spring cleaning, she might’ve started then. My next step is to make a bib, I read an article from the UK that helped called “RABBITS WHICH CHEW THEIR FEET OR BODY” and one owner had success with it.

Latest posts

Back