Myia's Bunny Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I am sure it was just me. I don't mean to come off mean, but I been told I have a "Strong" personality, so even me being sugary sweet is still "intimidating"...I really don't mean to. Plus, how confusing is text, right?

I have talked about "limits" before, and this is actually the least amount of animals I have ever owned. And that dosen't include the rehabilitations either!

And unfortuntly, the mansion isn't even complete (sigh) it has another $100 add on. But right now I need to foucs on spaying Chewy and nuetering the two boys.

My limit at my current housing condtion is four rabbits, absoulute. When we get the own bunny room, it may be more, but I doubt it since I like to bond with my rabbits and to have them allow to get a lot of run time.

I think limits are all up to the person!

So, I posted this somewhere in this blog, but James and I (James, mostly) want a bearded dragon. I really want to get a German Giant, but really I will be happy with anything.

So I am habitat planning.

If we get a German Giant, I am going to house him in a 40 gallon (Assuming he is a baby) right off the bat, and start looking for a 75 gallon.

I really like the habitat look (Besides lack of size and icky sand)
http://www.reptilechannel.com/images/article-images/bearded-dragon-habitat-500.jpg

I will be laying down tile for the substrate..then putting some heat radiant stone in his basking area, and some flagstone in the cool area. I would also like a large water dish so he can soak on non-bath days.

Oooh. German giants are neato. I have only seen a few at reptile shows but wowza. Quite the difference from our little Darwin and Alice! I'm glad to hear s/he will get a 75g at maturity, and a nicely set up one at that. I'm so tired of seeing badly cared for beardies :( You must post pics to renew my lost faith in humanity when it happens ;)

Haha I will! I wish my gecko tanks were more complete to show you..I put in thier humid hides but they aren't decorated and they look plain. I have no clue how to do the backgrounds either.

Well, I am worried a 75g won't be enough. I had 1 male who was a bit larger than normal in a 55 and it was small to me.

But I give my beardies playpen playtime too.

Have you tried flagstone on your cool sides of tanks? It works miracles. I am lucky to have some available for free; but if we could work out shipping I could send you some if you would like (But I can't imagine how much it would cost since flagstone is heavy). I don't like it for a heat gradiant (It doesn't warm up enough IMO) but it stays nice and cool and all my reptiles like to bury underneath it for the extra coolness, plus its pretty good looking.

I also am in the process of drilling some to make a ledge for the chinchillas for the summer, so I can place it in the freezer and give it to them when it gets hot.

So, on a different personal note.
Yesterday was my brothers birthday. I refrained from posting it here because I just didn't want to.
Julius is terminally ill, he has a blood disorder that is much like cancer. It is called Evan's Syndrome.
He was diagnosed at four, and was given 6 months to live. It has now officially been 6 years. But he has been at deaths door more than a few times. He is now currently on chemo drugs and therepy.
On top of that, Julius is mentally disabled and severly behavioral which arises a lot of its own problems.
Everyday is a struggle. I get really emotinal about this, so I am trying to keep it as short as possible.
My mom was in the Hospital last Wendsday with a heart murmmer. They are in the process of testing her, but it seems to be a permenent thing.
So, yes I have been stressed.

Then I lost half my hours and a paycut (Thanks goverment)
And if you don't beleive how bad my finacial situation is, here, here is proof.

That is a negative sign by the way. For those who don't have facebook, my company didn't pay me this week, resulting in my credit card bills proccessing and there not being money in the bank. I have to fax my hours in and apparently they "Didn't get the fax" which is total bull. So now I have to drive over 50 minutes on my scooter to drop off the papers in person, since I haven't been paid in 3 weeks.

I was able to feed my geckos and get hamster food thankfully from James who put in extra hours in at work (He works for his mother however)

But I got charged 2 overdraft fees (One of them haven't processed yet, on that -115 statement you see) and unless Chase bank is nice and understands my direct deposit didn't go through, I will be broke.

I just want May to come. It won't be easier since I will have the nueter, and then a spay in June, but at least it won't be as bad as this.

I will back to my old finacial sitiatuion and back to being able to save and pay for things.

I will post later on a happier note, right now I just want to post this to show why it is I am so stressed.

On a way lighter note. I am doing fine, and I will be okay. I have James (Our relationship has finally got past the rocky stage it was at) and his unconditional support, my family and in-laws, and my animals. I am getting by, and I know this is just temporary.

So, yesterday I laid down on the floor to bond with Kinobe (So he could get used to my body in a none scary tall position). Well, I was really tired and must have fallen asleep (lol) and I woke up to his whiskers tickling my face and arm! It was so cute, but I was startled and woke up with a little jump, scaring Kinobe a tad! Lol! Bonding between us has been going great; he is calmer around me and more curious. He also tolerates being held a lot better now. I also noticed that when James pets him, he goes into the submissive scared position, as with me he does not really care (Although he may run away still, lol)

James asked why we were keeping him and I told him because mostly he reminded me of Pinball and that I was attached to him. James really wanted another lionhead, so I think he is disappointed but I also think it takes a lot longer for James to be connected to an animal. He of course loves Chewbacca a lot, and loved Pinball but it all took time. I think within time, Kinobe will grow on James.

We took him to the park again so we could see his awesome hops. They are so adorable, lol!

I am monitoring Chews weight closely to see if she is pregnant. I doubt it (and I hope not) but you can’t be for sure. I contacted my two friends who had dibs on her last litter with Pinball, and they said they still would love a rabbit (They are great pet owners, one had a rabbit for 7 years that passed away last year) and they both still had the cages still, so that’s great.

Chew and I have a daily game of playing catch with a type of rope ball, it’s really cute because sometimes she will get really aggressive with the ball..and if she is done playing she will run with it and put it in a corner! Lol!

The chins are good..There cage is a mess again. Leave it to chinchillas to destroy everything, lol.

I have Kinobes neuter set for the first week of May, to get it over with. I figure my responsibility is to my personal animals first. I am waiting from yesterday 32 days, and then I will spay Chewy.

I have also decided to take in the lionhead of my friends, the sable point. I figure it will take 3-4 months to neuter him, and that is plenty of time to save up the money for it. As long as I get Kinobe neutered in the first two weeks of May, I don’t see any issue getting the lionhead. The lionhead should be coming home next (Not this upcoming, but next) weekend. I will of course post photos.

Myia09 wrote:
So, I am working a 10 hour shift watching my client, and I get the freedom of using I am starting on the gecko cages, measuring out all the supplies. It will be completley DIY..I am making a really kick as habitat..It will be a rock wall with connecting hides and ledges. what you do is carve out styrofoam and cover it with groat, paint, and seal it and there you go. It looks like natural rock. It is really pretty. Here is an example, although mine will of course be different

It probably won't be done for 2 weeks, since I forgot the supplies at my in laws, and it will take another week of acutal doing. But I of course will post photos.

Did you get this done?

Myia09 wrote:
Chew and I have a daily game of playing catch with a type of rope ball, it’s really cute because sometimes she will get really aggressive with the ball..and if she is done playing she will run with it and put it in a corner! Lol!

Such a smart rabbits! She learns to put her toys away after playing.

You seem like a smart girl. I think you'll get thru this just fine. I remember living on instant noodles in college all b/c I was stubborn and had to go to school in NYC, so my parents decided I was on my own financially. It was tough but I survived and you will too.

Ick those overdraft fees really bite! I had a mishap the other month where I overdrew my account by only like $2 paying a bill, and then had to pay another $35 fee. It's tough when you're living on a budget. And I couldn't stop thinking how much food for the animals $35 could have payed for instead of just going to the bank. I was really mad at myself.

Now I set up theses alerts on my account where if my balance gets below a certain amount, the bank sends me an email. Hopefully that will help.

That's so cute Chewy plays catch. Ziggy and sometimes Barnaby play fetch with me too. I keep meaning to take a video of it but I still haven't.

Thank you eveyrone :)
Yeah..I had things that needed to be bought with that money..now its just back to square one.

Yeah I love when Chewy plays catch..its our "bonding" time.

This is a quick update, I am going to post more later,
But the Phoenix Spay and Nueter charges only
83 for a spay and 73 for a nueter..
Including pain meds! And they give a military discount of 10%, so James brother (Who did a tour in Afghanistan) is going to come with so we can use it, lol!

So that amounts to 75 spay and 66 nueter!

That makes me really happy!

Yay for inexpensive spay/neuters. Those are great prices. Do they have a lot of experience with rabbits?

I won't comment on the overdraft fees since I have worked for commercial banks for the last 30 years, lol!

slavetoabunny wrote:
Yay for inexpensive spay/neuters. Those are great prices. Do they have a lot of experience with rabbits?

I won't comment on the overdraft fees since I have worked for commercial banks for the last 30 years, lol!

Yup! They are reconmended by Brambley Hedge Rabbit Rescue! So awesome points! lol!

No, I understand the fees (Banks have to make profit too, desptie all that interest they get from loans :p), but its hard to deal with. But I called and they refused to reverse the fees, but I may go into the store, find an older male and cry :p

So my blazing blizzard female started ovulating, and she and the Mack Snow Enigma copulated.

I put some vermiculite in my Super Snows lay box; she should be laying by the end of next week. It’s hard to tell, I thought she was 4 days away, but the more I look at the egg the more I have my doubts that it may take a full week.

I have the Hova Bator all set for that egg. I thought it was maybe 2 eggs, but I think it was just her fat deposit I was seeing, but for sure one egg.

I fed her yesterday, but she only ate 2 roaches, so it’s a sign she is close (They stop eating before laying)

So when she lays, I am going to get her all roaches and a nice frozen pinkie mouse to fatten her up. I am not going to rebred her until she is a bit bigger than she was when she started.

I know to stay realistic in realizing most first breeding seasons don’t go well. Most first eggs don’t make it. But I am sooo excited and hopeful. When she lays and the egg looks good, it will take 6-8 weeks to hatch, being towards the latter since I am incubating for a female.

So I have to make a hatchling box..its basically a tuber wear cart you use to store things in, stringed with heat tape. The set up is simple; paper towels as substrate, a little box as a hide, a little water bowl. I have to order the heat tape online and I get nervous setting it up, I really wish someone would just build a hatchling rack for me! Lol!

Kinobe found a way to get behind the dryer..our washer/dryer is a stacked unit in what is technically our pantry. So I have to remember to keep it closed, otherwise I really don’t want to deal with trying to drag him out.

Chinchillas Survival Guide to surviving the Desert Summer:

1. Freeze Dust for dust baths (I do this year round)
2. Have an extra set of water bottles that are half frozen to rotate
3. Have a piece of tile in the cage, then a rotating frozen piece of tile
4. Ice cubes in a small bowl, although expect to find a poop infested puddle in a couple of hours
5. Freeze rice and make a little "Rice pillow" <- Big hit with Valentine

And crank up those A/C's!

Latest posts

Back